Valentine’s 2023

I cooked sirloin with a red wine sauce. Lu approved.

20230214_192937.jpg

A lot of it is to do with perceptions. Push a trolley around and you're not seen as infirm/old/disabled. Use a wheelie walker (strollator) and you're instantly seen as infirm or disabled and honestly, no one easily or readily accepts that.

And until you've been there it's hard to fully understand. It's how you perceive others' perception of you. And it's hard to accept that you need it when you do have to use one for real.

The only way to see it from her point of view will be for you to walk around a supermarket using one and using it as though you need to use it (so no letting go and walking off to the shelves behind you because it's a pain to turn around on it) etc. The way other people treat you changes.
I find myself being more gentle and considerate of someone when I see them with a cane, walker, or wheelchair, and never am I disrespectful or disdainful. I make a point to open doors, offer to get something off the shelf for someone, etc., and not in a condescending manner, either.

When my mother passed away I kept her walking canes (that she hated using). I did donate her walker to someone who was in immediate need of it, as it might be another 20 or more years before I need one (I am 60). And by then they will probably have some badass contraptions! I hope I am getting around well, but you had better believe I will happily use a walker or wheelchair as soon as I feel it's necessary.

I had one stint in hospital where I was infirm for a week or so after and I had no problem accepting help from others. I guess it just depends on the person.

May I say from all the men here that your partner needs to pull it in a little, they are making us look bad :D
This was Valentine’s Day morning at my house:

Me: Happy Valentine’s Day! 😘 Don’t forget, I’m making you fondue tonight!
MrsT: I was gonna get you a card, but then I didn’t.

:laugh:

This was Valentine’s Day morning at my house:

Me: Happy Valentine’s Day! 😘 Don’t forget, I’m making you fondue tonight!
MrsT: I was gonna get you a card, but then I didn’t.

:laugh:
I had bought my husband a deep tissue massage that he received the day before Valentine's Day, and he knew that I was making him lamb chops for Valentine's dinner. So I worked all day on 2/14, came home, went straight to the kitchen and put away the clean dishes and washed the dirty ones that had accumulated in the sink while I was gone all day (that he could have washed since he was home all day, but didn't), and then I prepped dinner and cooked. He said, "Sorry I didn't get you anything for Valentine's Day." I was mildly disappointed--I had brought home a bottle of champagne and bought him a red cookie with frosting and a heart on it that said, "Love." But I wasn't too upset, really. We ate dinner and it was delicious, and he told me so.

So later after I got in bed to watch a little TV before going to sleep, he said, "You didn't look over on your desk at all tonight, did you." I got up, walked over to the desk, and saw the big heart-shaped box of candy and the 2 massage gift certificates he had apparently purchased the day before when he was at his appointment, along with a very sweet handwritten note professing his love for me. So he's just a little bit of a trickster, LOL. Never know with that one.

We did our belated Valentine’s Day dinner tonight- this has become a tradition for us, husband made beef tenderloin steaks with a red wine pan sauce, and horseradish mashed potatoes to go with. He used to make this for me a lot when we were first engaged.

He also got me a heart-shaped box of chocolate, but we finished them all a few days ago.
60F33552-C02C-4B66-B1A2-5EC365CADE4A.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom