Valentine's Day: romantic or cynic?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
8:57 AM
Do you celebrate Valentine's day? Perhaps a special meal, gifts or flowers? Or maybe you are an "I feel slightly nauseous" cynic. Tell us what you do or don't do.

As a child, it was a day for candies and Valentines cards. As a married man it was a day of spending. and spending, and spending. Diamonds, saphires, flowers, chocolates and fine dining (I did enjoy the fine dining).

Now, it's just another day. My dog feels the same way.

CD

We're a lot like Lullabelle - nice meal, splurge on dessert, good bottle of wine, that sort of thing.

I'm much, much more outgoingly romantic than my wife. It's one area in our relationship (out of very few) that falls into "normal" gender roles - she loves to be wooed, but it would never really occur to her to woo back, if that makes any sense.

About two years after we were married, we were living in San Antonio, and I had to go to the Mississippi Gulf Coast for some training (military), and I was gone for about five weeks. It worked out that I'd be done and driving back just before Valentine's Day.

When I got out of class on the last day, I could have stayed in Biloxi that last night and gone out with all my friends for one last night of merry japes, but instead, I drove all night and got home right as MrsTasty was leaving for work. I told her I was just going to sleep all day and we could maybe go out for a nice supper for the special occasion.

As soon as she left, I got back in the car, bought a couple of nice things, then called the nicest hotel downtown and got us a room, and made reservations at a romantic restaurant nearby. Then I went home, did all my dirty laundry, packed an overnight bag for us, and tried to get a couple of hours sleep. Then I went back downtown, checked into the hotel, stashed our bags, then back up to her office at quitting time.

I told her it was no point in driving two cars, to leave hers, and that we were heading downtown to eat. We got there, had drinks, ate, all that, then kind of ambled along the Riverwalk until we got to the hotel, at which time I said, "You know, this is the nicest hotel in town. We'll probably never be able to afford to say here, but I'd sure like to see the lobby at least."

We went in, and while she was looking around, I snuck over to the concierge, very quickly explained everything, slipped him our room key, then a couple of minutes later, he made a big show of coming over and saying, "Ahhh, MrTasty! MrsTasty! How lovely to see you both! Here's your room key, champagne is waiting on ice, please allow the porter to show you to your room!"

I'd arranged for champagne, chocolate-dipped strawberries, all that kind of stuff, and when she saw our bags, she finally figured out she'd been duped the whole time. :laugh:

We're a lot like Lullabelle - nice meal, splurge on dessert, good bottle of wine, that sort of thing.

I'm much, much more outgoingly romantic than my wife. It's one area in our relationship (out of very few) that falls into "normal" gender roles - she loves to be wooed, but it would never really occur to her to woo back, if that makes any sense.

About two years after we were married, we were living in San Antonio, and I had to go to the Mississippi Gulf Coast for some training (military), and I was gone for about five weeks. It worked out that I'd be done and driving back just before Valentine's Day.

When I got out of class on the last day, I could have stayed in Biloxi that last night and gone out with all my friends for one last night of merry japes, but instead, I drove all night and got home right as MrsTasty was leaving for work. I told her I was just going to sleep all day and we could maybe go out for a nice supper for the special occasion.

As soon as she left, I got back in the car, bought a couple of nice things, then called the nicest hotel downtown and got us a room, and made reservations at a romantic restaurant nearby. Then I went home, did all my dirty laundry, packed an overnight bag for us, and tried to get a couple of hours sleep. Then I went back downtown, checked into the hotel, stashed our bags, then back up to her office at quitting time.

I told her it was no point in driving two cars, to leave hers, and that we were heading downtown to eat. We got there, had drinks, ate, all that, then kind of ambled along the Riverwalk until we got to the hotel, at which time I said, "You know, this is the nicest hotel in town. We'll probably never be able to afford to say here, but I'd sure like to see the lobby at least."

We went in, and while she was looking around, I snuck over to the concierge, very quickly explained everything, slipped him our room key, then a couple of minutes later, he made a big show of coming over and saying, "Ahhh, MrTasty! MrsTasty! How lovely to see you both! Here's your room key, champagne is waiting on ice, please allow the porter to show you to your room!"

I'd arranged for champagne, chocolate-dipped strawberries, all that kind of stuff, and when she saw our bags, she finally figured out she'd been duped the whole time. :laugh:

Wow! If only I'd known blokes like you when I was younger.

That is so sweet :happy:

It's people like you who raise the bar too high, these women folk will be expecting stuff like that from the rest of us :headshake:

:laugh:

It's people like you who raise the bar too high, these women folk will be expecting stuff like that from the rest of us :headshake:

:laugh:
It's not the women folk. It's the commercial expectation on either side of the gender gap.

Actually, for VD day, I'd enjoy a repast of yakatori chicken hearts.

When I was younger I paid, now not so much. I will never buy another diamond. The price is artificially kept high for something as common as beach sand/pebbles. Emeralds and rubies are real gems.

When I was younger I paid, now not so much. I will never buy another diamond. The price is artificially kept high for something as common as beach sand/pebbles. Emeralds and rubies are real gems.
That's one (of the many) thing(s) I love about my wife. She cares not one bit for jewelry. Her wedding and engagement rings (with little diamond chips) were had for about $300 back in 1990 from a discount department store, and she still sees zero need to upgrade them.

First years together celebrated. Then after one too many pricey flower arrangements that were drooping the next day and over priced mediocre meals in packed restaurants, we both agreed - NO MORE. If We need a holiday to show our appreciation / love something isn't right😉😉.. CYNIC

Back
Top Bottom