Various oils for cooking

EVOO and rapeseed oil mostly. Butter, duck and goose fat also. There are bottles of sesame and walnut oil at the back of the cupboard but I can't remember the last time they were used. That raises another point - the shelf life of different oils.

You should definitely refrigerate sesame oil once opened, as it tends to go rancid fairly quickly otherwise. We always kept walnut oil in fridge as well since walnuts themselves get stale and rancid fairly quickly. Grapeseed oil is in pantry, though we don't use it much.

We have a container of purchased duck fat that is kept in deep freeze. Ghee is good for a couple of months at least in fridge. When I have coconut oil, kept that in fridge as well since it doesn't get used quickly. Peanut and vege oil are kept in relatively cool dark cabinet. Crisco is kept in pantry. Chili oil is also kept in fridge. I make our truffle oil with ends of truffles when we have them, so keep that in freezer. I also make truffle butter that is also kept in freezer.

Don't use canola/rapeseed oil as they have a funky taste to Craig.

You should definitely refrigerate sesame oil once opened, as it tends to go rancid fairly quickly otherwise. We always kept walnut oil in fridge as well since walnuts themselves get stale and rancid fairly quickly. Grapeseed oil is in pantry, though we don't use it much.

We have a container of purchased duck fat that is kept in deep freeze. Ghee is good for a couple of months at least in fridge. When I have coconut oil, kept that in fridge as well since it doesn't get used quickly. Peanut and vege oil are kept in relatively cool dark cabinet. Crisco is kept in pantry. Chili oil is also kept in fridge. I make our truffle oil with ends of truffles when we have them, so keep that in freezer. I also make truffle butter that is also kept in freezer.

I feel a purge of the store cupboard coming on. Some of those bottles have been there for years.

Right now I have and use frequently corn oil, cheap EVO, butter and schmaltz.
Oil is an really important thing and I love how greeks or italian people use their olive oil, or the storys they come up with.
You guys have a nice list with cool oils.
Stay healthy

Oops how did I forget duck/goose fat...always have that in the fridge!

I just keep my oils and ghee in the cupboard - my kitchen is usually somewhere between 18 and 22 C and I've never had a problem with anything going prematurely rancid. Talking of sesame oil though, I've just remembered that there are two types.....I'm talking about toasted sesame oil, not the sesame oil that can be used for cooking, and I only buy it in 250ml bottles - which probably lasts me at least a couple of years.

I'm the same way. Smells and tastes of fish. I'm currently using a canola blend - it's better, but that fishy characteristic is still there.

Maybe different here? Pure rapeseed is what I usually use for frying. I've not detected a fishy characteristic.
No, we've noticed a fishy odour or taste either....and if there was one then hubby would definitely notice because he doesn't eat fish and can't stand even the faintest fishy smell :unsure:

I only use cold-pressed rapeseed oil though - I've not tried the standard oils which tend to be steam treated during extraction process. I'd be interested to know if the fishy oils were cold-pressed or not?

I had some time this morning and photographed my cooking oil inventory ...

full.jpg

From left to right, extra virgin olive oil, peanut oil, almond oil and a vegetable oil blend.

Back
Top Bottom