Recipe (Vegan) Aubergine Goulash

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
7:07 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
First of all, this isn't my recipe. It is one that is somewhere between inspired by and someone else's. But I don't know whose. Hubby printed it off and the site didn't put a link in the bottom or footer to say it was from this site and there is not a darned thing that gives the game away.

So Aubergine Goulash. It was a recipe hubby picked out. It is simple and for the paprika challenge and given that it has both sweet paprika and smoked paprika in it, I think it qualifies....

There's a reasonable list of ingredients but the method is really easy and divided into 4 main sections of put this in and cook for x many minutes, add this and cook for y many minutes and so on. The internet version I was given calls for 1/4 cup of Olive Oil. Now that is 80ml and way too much oil in my book. I'm on a diet and the thought of that much oil even if Aubergine soaks oil up better than a sponge does. I halved it. You can decide on what works best for the size of Aubergine you have purchased/grown and prepared.

Ingredients
40-80ml extra virgin olive oil
4-8 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tbsp Hungarian sweet paprika
1 tbsp Hungarian smoked paprika
1 tsp dried thyme
2 bay leaves (more if they are rather small like mine are at the moment)
2 tbsp tamari soy sauce
2-3 tsp demerara sugar
1/2-1 tsp liquid smoke
1 tbsp plain flour
1 medium to large Aubergine, cut into 1cm dice.
1 red or green pepper, chopped into roughly 1cm dice.
1 onion, also diced...
3 medium-large potatoes, also diced....
1*400ml tin of crushed or diced tomatoes
2-3 tbsp tomato paste/concentrate (to taste - this will depend on the quality of your tinned tomatoes)
500-750ml vegetable stock
seasoning

Method
  1. Heat half the oil in a suitable stock pan (I've got a 2L sauté pan with lid which is excellent for this kind of dish, wide and flat). Once the oil is hot, add the aubergine and cook for roughly 5-10 minutes. You want them starting to brown and having all softened. Add more oil if the aubergine is starting to stick badly. I kept the lid on, so my cooking times were slightly lower.
  2. Add the green pepper, the onion and the garlic, stir and cook for another 5 minutes until the onion and the pepper have started to soften. Again, I kept replaced the lid, so my times were on the lower side.
  3. Once softening, sprinkle the flour over the veg and stir well. You want to mix it in well coating all the veg with an even and cooked layer of flour. Cook for no more than a minute.
  4. Now add pretty much everything else. I add the herbs and spices first, sprinkling it over the veg in a similar manner to the flour and stirring in well before adding the rest, but it is up to you. Get in all in the pan one way or another. Now bring the stock back up to a simmer and cook for 5-10 minutes.
  5. Turn the heat off and leave with the lid on until you are ready to serve.
  6. Bring back to the simmer with the lid on, stirring well. Once the potatoes are cooked through, taste, season and serve over whatever you want. Pasta, rice, more potatoes even or in our case tonight it will be over pumpkin gnocchi and then tomorrow, over rice.
Photo will follow.

20190808_113619.jpg

A little later on in the cooking
20190808_141359.jpg

Last edited:
First of all, this isn't my recipe. It is one that is somewhere between inspired by and someone else's. But I don't know whose. Hubby printed it off and the site didn't put a link in the bottom or footer to say it was from this site and there is not a darned thing that gives the game away.

So Aubergine Goulash. It was a recipe hubby picked out. It is simple and for the paprika challenge and given that it has both sweet paprika and smoked paprika in it, I think it qualifies....

There's a reasonable list of ingredients but the method is really easy and divided into 4 main sections of put this in and cook for x many minutes, add this and cook for y many minutes and so on. The internet version I was given calls for 1/4 cup of Olive Oil. Now that is 80ml and way too much oil in my book. I'm on a diet and the thought of that much oil even if Aubergine soaks oil up better than a sponge does. I halved it. You can decide on what works best for the size of Aubergine you have purchased/grown and prepared.

Ingredients
40-80ml extra virgin olive oil
4-8 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tbsp Hungarian sweet paprika
1 tbsp Hungarian smoked paprika
1 tsp dried thyme
2 bay leaves (more if they are rather small like mine are at the moment)
2 tbsp tamari soy sauce
2-3 tsp demerara sugar
1/2-1 tsp liquid smoke
1 tbsp plain flour
1 medium to large Aubergine, cut into 1cm dice.
1 red or green pepper, chopped into roughly 1cm dice.
1 onion, also diced...
3 medium-large potatoes, also diced....
1*400ml tin of crushed or diced tomatoes
2-3 tbsp tomato paste/concentrate (to taste - this will depend on the quality of your tinned tomatoes)
500-750ml vegetable stock
seasoning

Method
  1. Heat half the oil in a suitable stock pan (I've got a 2L sauté pan with lid which is excellent for this kind of dish, wide and flat). Once the oil is hot, add the aubergine and cook for roughly 5-10 minutes. You want them starting to brown and having all softened. Add more oil if the aubergine is starting to stick badly. I kept the lid on, so my cooking times were slightly lower.
  2. Add the green pepper, the onion and the garlic, stir and cook for another 5 minutes until the onion and the pepper have started to soften. Again, I kept replaced the lid, so my times were on the lower side.
  3. Once softening, sprinkle the flour over the veg and stir well. You want to mix it in well coating all the veg with an even and cooked layer of flour. Cook for no more than a minute.
  4. Now add pretty much everything else. I add the herbs and spices first, sprinkling it over the veg in a similar manner to the flour and stirring in well before adding the rest, but it is up to you. Get in all in the pan one way or another. Now bring the stock back up to a simmer and cook for 5-10 minutes.
  5. Turn the heat off and leave with the lid on until you are ready to serve.
  6. Bring back to the simmer with the lid on, stirring well. Once the potatoes are cooked through, taste, season and serve over whatever you want. Pasta, rice, more potatoes even or in our case tonight it will be over pumpkin gnocchi and then tomorrow, over rice.
Photo will follow.

We are growing Aubergine this summer.

Russ

Tell the hubby he chose well. What a pretty dish.

Indian cuisine has a similar dish called "Baingan ka Bharta" - Indian Eggplant with mashed vegetables. However, your recipe looks much better and judging from some of the ingredients probably tastes better too.

Tell the hubby he chose well. What a pretty dish.

Indian cuisine has a similar dish called "Baingan ka Bharta" - Indian Eggplant with mashed vegetables. However, your recipe looks much better and judging from some of the ingredients probably tastes better too.
It tasted great but some of the potatoes were not cooked properly so hubby put it back on to simmer and forgot. I now have to reseason my saute pan!

When you say "...not cooked properly", what do mean? Slightly hard and chewy?
Under cooked in places.

Somehow he failed to set the timer on the ring on the stove. He didn't even manage to tell the all the rings to turn off in one go.

Ahh well, at least my favourite saute pan wasn't ruined as well.

Back
Top Bottom