Recipe Vegan Bean Pate

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
7:29 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I had thought I had written this one up, but apparently I haven't...

The list of ingredients looks long and if you are not familiar with a vegan lifestyle probably looks a touch odd but the recipe is really easy and quick to make once the beans are cooked and you can always cheat and use canned beans if you wanted to. We find it keeps for between 5-7 days in the fridge. We like it spicy, so if you don't like spices as much just half the quantity of the spices, but don't be tempted to substitute fresh onions for the ground onions, for some reason it just does not work and leaves the pâté watery and too thin.

Ingredients
½ cup of dried butter beans (great northern beans)
2 tbsp nutrional yeast
1-2 cloves of garlic crushed
½ tsp tumeric
1 tbsp noble sweet paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tbsp ground onion powder (see note below on cheap alternative)
1 tbsp cider/white wine vinegar/lemon juice
2 tsbp sweet white miso
3-4 tbsp (generous) tasty tahini

Method
  • Speak the beans overnight and cook until they are almost falling apart. Drain, retaining what is left of the cooking water, but allow the beans to cool in the strainer (this makes for a thicker pâté).
  • Add all the ingredients to a blender and whiz till smooth.
  • If you find the pâté is too thick use a little of the cooking water from the beans to thin it, but take care not to over thin because the water will separate out from the pâté with time.
  • The pâté is best from the next day on and if kept in an airtight container will last 5-7 days.

A note on dried onion powder in the UK at least. I have found that it is either seriously difficult to get hold of or stupidly expensive. I have, however, found that virtually all supermarkets sell dried onions which are very cheap and this is what I use, just grinding them as I need them. I have found that the ground onion tends to absorb water and set rock hard if left even for a week, so I grind it as I need it. It costs about 50p or so for a 40g packet.

019547.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom