Recipe Vegan Black Bean Brownies

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
9:33 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
OK, first of all this recipe is adapted from nomeatathlete.com's Black Bean Brownie recipe.
I found their original a little too expensive, too sweet and some of the proportions, interesting to say the least.

Beans
It's also one of those recipes that you can mix and match with, so if you don't have black beans handy, then red kidney beans or white butter beans work just as well. (Those are ones I have tried so far). The original recipe is designed to use a tin of beans. I prefer to cook mine myself, but just replace my quantities with a 'tin of beans' if using tinned beans.
Sugar
I prefer to use dark brown soft sugar for flavour, but I can't see why you can't use any sguar you want really. The orginal recipe calls for 2.25 cups of raw sugar. Well I tried that and basically, having used the entire 750g bag of raw sugar, I ran out. I have the recipe down to 12oz now, and still find it too sweet really. I knock off around a couple of ounces every time I make it - I'm still going...
Nuts
The recipe calls for 1.5 cups of chopped hazelnuts. 1 cup is around 100g of chopped hazelnuts. You can mix and match as much as you like - if I am taking these into college, then I only use sunflower seeds... they are just as nice, either way.
Cocoa powder
The orginal recipe calls for 1.25 cups of cocoa powder. First time I made this recipe, that's what I used - the entire packet of cocoa powder... since then I have dropped it considerably without any issues. I find around 1/2 the container to be fine.

Ingredients
8oz wholemeal flour.
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
14oz sugar (I prefer dark brown soft sugar)
2oz cocoa powder (make sure its sugar free...this is roughly half the container)
4 tsp instant coffee powder (to taste)
6-8oz of chopped nuts&/seeds as available

1tsp vanilla essence
200g cooked weight of black beans - roughly 100g dried weight I think.
water....

Method
Mix all the dried ingredients together. Put the beans and vanilla in a liquidiser and add enough water to cover them completely and have about 1cm of water on top, then puree until smooth.
Add the bean puree to the dried ingredients and mix well. You should have a slightly runny, thick batter - rather than a dough. Pour the batter into smaller sized greased baking tins, so it is no more than 2-3cm thick. I find smaller sized trays better for this so that the middle cooks because this recipe has a tendancy to cook on the outside and leave the middle runny or burn the outer edges to get the inner cooked...Cook at 180C for around 25-30 mins or so, turn round half way through cooking.

Cool in the tray, then turn out and cut up. In theory it makes 24 square brownies of 5x5cm.
They freeze well.

IMG_4839.JPG

Back
Top Bottom