Recipe Vegan Brown Soda Bread

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
2:18 AM
Vegan Brown Soda Bread.jpg

Traditional soda bread with healthy addition of omega 3 rich linseed.

Ingredients
400 g (14oz) stone-ground wholemeal flour
75 g (3oz) plain white flour (or use 475 wholemeal)
100 g ground flax seed/golden linseed
1 tsp salt
1 level teaspoon bread soda
1 tsp vegan egg replacer e.g. orgran
1 tblsp rapeseed or olive oil
1 tsp unrefined sugar or molasses
425 ml soy or other plant based milk
sesame seeds

Method
  • Get yourself a 23x12x5cm loaf tin (9x5x2") and brush with olive or rapeseed oil. Pre-heart your oven to 200 degrees Celsius (Gas 6/400F)
  • Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add molasses/sugar and oil to the plant based milk. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the liquid.
  • Mix well and pour into the oiled tin. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake for 1 hour.

http://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/food/recipes/2012/0820/744936-vegan-brown-soda-bread/

I'm curious as to why you need a egg replacer in this bread. Surely just omitting it would be a better option, it's not like traditional sofa bread has an egg in it in the first place. At least not the traditional Irish soda bread I know.

I'm curious as to why you need a egg replacer in this bread. Surely just omitting it would be a better option, it's not like traditional sofa bread has an egg in it in the first place. At least not the traditional Irish soda bread I know.

I love soda bread and I love eating it on the sofa...

Only reason I can find is to keep it completely vegan. As you've said, the traditional version doesn't include an egg either.

Back
Top Bottom