Recipe Vegan Creamy Cauliflower Sauce

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
9:31 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
This recipe started out life as a first try of another recipe. The recipe I was trying was from here (http://simpleveganblog.com/vegan-pasta-alfredo/) however, her's and my idea about a tasty cheese sauce are different, totally different and nutritional yeast does not meet those requirements alone. Also having a medium sized cauliflower, I prefer to use more than 100g which her recipe stated was enough for 2 servings. It wasn't and isn't and is never going to be. So I scaled things up to cover a few nights (I was aiming for 3 nights.)

Don't be afraid to use the stem of a cauliflower. You can actually use most of it, until you get to the woody bit. A lot of flavour and nutrients are to be found in the stem and stalk and given that everything gets liquidised at the end, it is not like anyone is actually going to know, except for you!

You could also add a couple of tbsp of a vegan miso if you wanted. I didn't on this occasion, but probably will next time around.

Ingredients
6-8 cloves of garlic (crushed)
1 tbsp oil (it can be olive oil, or I prefer to use canola/rapeseed oil)
800-1,000g cauliflower (use the stem & stalks as well as the florets, chopped)
750ml unsweetened almond milk
5 tbsp nutritional yeast
juice of 1 large lemon (about 2-3 tbsp)
1 tbsp mustard powder (I use Coleman's, if you can't find mustard powder, then use ready made mustard)
1 tbsp Indian Curry powder
2 tbsp rice flour
Seasoning
Method
  1. In a saucepan, heat the oil then add the crushed garlic and fry for a few minutes until it starts to smell fragrant and begins to brown.
  2. Add the almond milk (reserve a little for the rice flour later on) and bring to the boil.
  3. Whilst that is happening, mix the mustard powder and curry powder with a little of the milk (keep some in reserve for the rice flour).
  4. Add the chopped cauliflower, mustard & curry powder mix to the almond milk, return to the boil, cover and simmer until the cauli is soft, 5-7 mins depending on how well you chopped the stem and stalks.
  5. Now is a good time to take a break in the recipe if you need to. Ideally I always allow things to cool before I put them through a liquidiser here and allowing it to go cold will allow the flavours to develop. Transfer the lot to a liquidiser and process until smooth. You may need to do this in 2 batches, returning it to the pan to reheat and mix.
  6. Depending on how thick your sauce is and how thick you want it to be, you may or may not need this next step. We did. put the rice flour into a small bowl and add in a couple of teaspoons of almond milk and mix well until you have a thick paste. Add a touch more milk and mix again until you have used the remaining milk and have a thinnish liquid to add to the pureed sauce. Reheat the lot in a saucepan stirring well so as not to end up with a lumpy sauce. Bring to the boil and simmer for around 5 minutes to cook the rice flour and thicken your sauce. Stir frequently.
  7. Now add the remaining ingredients (lemon juice, nutritional yeast and seasoning to taste).

Back
Top Bottom