2 tbsp of chives, chopped
1 pinch of salt
1 pinch of pepper

Method
1 Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6

2 Add the sweet potato to a large roasting tray with a good splash of olive oil
  • 2 large sweet potatoes, cut into 2cm chunks
  • 1/2 tbsp of vegetable oil
3 Using a pestle and mortar, bash the rosemary and thyme lightly for 1-2 minutes to release the flavour. Scatter over the sweet potato
  • 1 sprig of rosemary, leaves picked
  • 1 sprig of thyme, leaves picked
4 Cover the tray with tin foil and place in the oven for approximately 45 minutes until soft. Remove and allow to cool

5 Meanwhile, place a saucepan over a medium heat and add a dash of olive oil. Once hot, add the onions along with a pinch of salt and pepper.
  • 1 tbsp of vegetable oil
  • 2 red onions, peeled and sliced
  • 1 pinch of salt
  • 1 pinch of pepper
6 Gently cook the onions, stirring occasionally until softened and lightly browned

7 Add the crumbled chestnuts to the pan and cook for further 2 minutes
  • 100g of chestnuts, peeled and chopped, optional
8 Toast the bread until dark and golden and drizzle with a small dash of olive oil. Tear into small chunks and set aside
  • 2 slices of sourdough bread
9 Add the torn toast to the pan with the onions, stir to combine. Stir in the lemon zest and remove the pan from the heat
  • 1 lemon, zest and juice
10 For the mushrooms, melt the butter in a pan over a medium heat. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook until all the liquid from the mushrooms has cooked off and they are soft
  • 10g of butter
  • 250g of button mushrooms, finely sliced
  • 3 garlic cloves, peeled
11 Squeeze in a little lemon juice. Remove the pan from the heat, pour the contents into a blender and blitz into a paste
  • 1 lemon, zest and juice
12 Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Tear the kale into small pieces and cook for 2 minutes, then add the spinach and cook for another 30 seconds. Drain and set aside
  • 1 pinch of salt
  • 200g of curly kale
  • 200g of baby spinach
13 In a bowl, mix the kale and spinach with the pine nuts, a dash of olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper
  • 50g of pine nuts
  • 1 pinch of salt
  • 1 pinch of pepper
14 Now assemble your Wellington. Roll out the puff pastry on a sheet of baking parchment until approximately 30cm x 40cm, then spread the mushroom mixture on top
  • 500g of puff pastry
15 Toss together the spinach, squash and onion-bread mixture. Spoon it in a thick line down the middle of the pastry, leaving a gap at either side so you can join up the edges of the Wellington

16 Hold one side of the baking parchment and lift it, with the pastry, towards the centre of the Wellington so the filling is half covered

17 Peel the baking parchment back, leaving the pastry in place, then repeat with the other side. The pastry should overlap in the middle

18 Beat the egg with the milk and brush it over the pastry to seal the join
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tbsp of milk
19 Fold up the ends so the filling doesn't leak out, then carefully roll the Wellington onto a baking sheet, with the seal underneath. Brush all over with the remainder of the egg mix

20 Bake for 45 minutes until puffed up, golden brown and hot through the middle

21 Meanwhile, peel the potatoes and place in a large pot. Cover with cold water and bring to a gentle boil. Cook for approximately 12-15 minutes or until tender
  • 10 large Maris piper potatoes
22 Strain and allow to steam for 5 minutes. Tip back into the pot and mash together with the light crème fraîche, butter, salt and pepper
  • 175g of half fat crème fraîche
  • 25g of butter
  • 1 pinch of salt
  • 1 pinch of pepper
23 Using a wooden spoon, mix in the chives and parsley
  • 2 tbsp of parsley, chopped
  • 2 tbsp of chives, chopped
24 To serve, slice up the Wellington and serve on a bed of the herby mash and your preferred vegetarian gravy

by Andy Waters
http://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/vegetarian-wellington-recipe

Classic 33, actually presented something I might be actually able to crack at my first go even if it is a bit long for me. I don't know I will find sour dough bread around here and that's another concern, but it's refreshing to not have to copy or Google anything. Everything is black and white except for the link, but that's fine. This recipe really looks good - very good.

Classic 33, actually presented something I might be actually able to crack at my first go even if it is a bit long for me. I don't know I will find sour dough bread around here and that's another concern, but it's refreshing to not have to copy or Google anything. Everything is black and white except for the link, but that's fine. This recipe really looks good - very good.
I'm certain the link was in black & white, but I posted in the wrong place. It got moved at my request, so I can't check.

Actually, I found this recipe very difficult and complicated to follow! And I'm used to following complicated recipes! Its odd the way its layed out to repeat all the ingredients after each instruction. I still don't fully understand the instruction about putting the filling ' in a thick line down the middle of the pastry, leaving a gap at either side so you can join up the edges of the Wellington'. The instruction for the filling has 13 different steps! It took me a while of re-reading to understand that all the steps were just to make the filling! So this is not a simple recipe. Its written by a top end British chef who trained with Bocuse, so this may explain the rather complicated approach. But hey, maybe I'm losing the plot! I reckon though, that I could come up with a more straightforward recipe for a vegetarian Wellington for the home cook!

However, I'm sure you can quite easily substitute ordinary white bread for sourdough. The sourdough would add an edge but only slightly, given all the other ingredients.

Well Morning glory, for me and coming from Classic, this is simple even if a bit complicated. I honestly had taken a quick look at the long list of ingredients which is where I have to start being from a different culture. Minus the chestnuts and the sour dough bread, it immediately got my attention as all of the other things I have access to if I don't already have them on hand. It is clear you went much deeper than I did and now I have revisited it, I'll have to revisit it a few more times before I fully get it:happy:. Classic Classic33, so it's still fine for me...nothing to Google and once we solve this puzzle it's going to be a great dish. Further with me, I never follow a cooking recipe but at least I have ingredients "I can identify" to play with.

Well Morning glory, for me and coming from Classic, this is simple even if a bit complicated. I honestly had taken a quick look at the long list of ingredients which is where I have to start being from a different culture. Minus the chestnuts and the sour dough bread, it immediately got my attention as all of the other things I have access to if I don't already have them on hand. It is clear you went much deeper than I did and now I have revisited it, I'll have to revisit it a few more times before I fully get it:happy:. Classic Classic33, so it's still fine for me...nothing to Google and once we solve this puzzle it's going to be a great dish. Further with me, I never follow a cooking recipe but at least I have ingredients "I can identify" to play with.

Its probably just me! I have a tendency to want to simplify things...:scratchhead:

I do vegitarean style Wellty a lot ,you can use any left over pulse dish or say a chic pea dhal ,try to really over cook it add som soft veg like cooked squash or sweet potato cool and roll up and seal in puff paste ,I have the ore rolled stuff in the freezer it's great ,and bake it,
I also do one with spinach goats cheese and red pepper confit, you can serve it whole to your guest or do some decorated individual ones

Back
Top Bottom