Veggie Cooking Cheat Sheet

watsadamen

Veteran
Local time
7:17 PM
Do you use a timer when cooking vegetables? I found this online and I hope you can share your inputs. My sister, who is a newbie vegetarian, tried some of the recommendations and she said it works. She tried the boiled and steamed methods since we don't really use the microwave for cooking. Before this, we never really bothered timing when cooking vegetables. When we think it's done then we turn the gas stove off.

enhanced-buzz-18047-1381354864-4.jpg

Last edited:
That's a great resource and very nicely presented too. Makes it very simple to refer to when you're wondering how long something should be cooked for! I don't really use a timer when I am cooking veggies - I'm pretty confident with most things because I cook them regularly.

Last edited:
I tend to over cook most of my vegetables mainly because I am multi tasking as the time I am cooking. Like last night I over cooked the broccoli, I wanted it crispy it was mushy. When I pay attention I do get it right. This chart will help with the timing of items I have no idea how long to cook.

I have printed off this chart and stuck it on my fridge. What a great source of information.
It will definitely come in handy. Thanks for sharing this with us. :)

Do you use a timer when cooking vegetables? I found this online and I hope you can share your inputs. My sister, who is a newbie vegetarian, tried some of the recommendations and she said it works. She tried the boiled and steamed methods since we don't really use the microwave for cooking. Before this, we never really bothered timing when cooking vegetables. When we think it's done then we turn the gas stove off.

enhanced-buzz-18047-1381354864-4.jpg

I often DO use a timer when cooking veggies, to avoid overcooking them. :wink:

I think its a useful thing to have but I disagree with some of the timings. For example, Brussels Sprouts boiled for 5 to 7 mins. That would be very crunchy al dente Brussels. Too crunchy for me... Same with cauliflower. And who steams mushrooms? Maybe I'm just a bit old school.:(

I think this is just a guide that the vegetables are already cooked. I know each person has his own preference so I guess you just have to modify. It would really depend on the individual's taste buds.

Back
Top Bottom