Recipe Venison Backstrap Braised with Wine and Ginger

ElizabethB

Guru
Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
12:35 AM
IDK what the problem is but I can not download pictures from my phone.
I made Braised Venison Backstrap in Red Wine with Ginger

INGREDIENTS
1 1/4 lbs. trimmed Venison Back Strap
2 cups dry red wine
1 cup reconstituted Better Than Bouillon Beef Base
1/4 cup all purpose flour
4 slices thick cut Bacon
1 large onion (yellow/brown) sliced thin
1 Tsp. minced garlic
2" fresh ginger cut into thin coins
1 TBSP Tomato Paste
Salt
Pepper
EVOO
Butter

METHOD
  1. Trim the silver skin from the backstrap. Cut 4 strips length wise. Cut 1" cubes. Pat dry. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
  2. Put APF in a shallow dish or pan. Season with salt and pepper.
  3. Cut 4 slices thick cut bacon into quarters. Put in a cold Dutch Oven. Heat on medium. Cook until bacon is 3/4 cooked. Add onions.
  4. Continue cooking until onions are soft. While the onions cook lightly dust the Venison with flour. Add the Venison to the pan. Toss and brown. Step back and deglaze with wine.
  5. Stir to loosen the bits from the bottom of the pan. Stir in Tomato Paste and BTB Beef Base. Add garlic and Ginger coins.
  6. Reduce heat to low. Cover. Cook until meat is fork tender. If the gravy is too thin uncover and bring to a boil for a few minutes. Serve over rice or pasta.
Enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:
  1. Reduce heat to low. Cover. Cook until meat is fork tender. If the gravy is too thin uncover and bring to a boil for a few minutes. Serve over rice or pasta.

I love venison and this is a good sounding recipe. I'm not sure which cut backstrap is? Also - how long do you cook the venison in the final step?

I love venison and this is a good sounding recipe. I'm not sure which cut backstrap is? Also - how long do you cook the venison in the final step?
Morning Glory My cook top is electric so I usually braise in the oven. I did not time. Hour, hour and a half. Fork tender.
Backstrap is a length of loin on the back of a deer, elk or moose. It is the rib eye in beef and loin in pork. Venison backstrap is much smaller than a rib eye or pork loin - maybe 2" in diameter. A tender cut but lacking in fat. I have cut back strap into thick - 2" - steaks and larded with bacon or pork belly and skillet seared like I would a beef steak. Tender and flavorful. Dry if not larded.
I think the deer in the UK are a different breed than what we have. G hunts White Tail. Most deer are very lean so fat is needed. The flavor is different. G has also hunted Mule Deer. Larger than a White tail and a slightly different flavor.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom