Website
mypinchofitaly.co.uk
Serves 2, Preparation time less than 10 mins

• little watermelon
  • Modena balsamic vinegar, 1 tablespoon
  • 5 fresh mint leaves to mince
  • feta cheese, 50 g

Method

Cut a couple of slices of watermelon about 2 cm, remove the seeds and the rind, cut into cubes and put them in a bowl or salad dish.

Now slice the feta in slightly smaller cubes or crumble it a little with your fingers and add it to the watermelon in the bowl and mix.

Wash the mint leaves, finely chop them with a knife or even helping them with kitchen scissors and add them to the mixture. Fill a tbsp of Modena balsamic vinegar and pour it into the mixture, mix well and then serve.
Watermelon and feta salad.jpg

Bellissimo ….

What an intriguing mixture of flavours - watermelon & mint, feta & mint, watermelon & feta - I haven't tried any of those combinations.

I'm very wary of balsamic vinegar (it's used far too widely and too heavily, I believe) - but I'm sure it works really well in this salad

A perfect salad for these hot August days

Bellissimo ….

What an intriguing mixture of flavours - watermelon & mint, feta & mint, watermelon & feta - I haven't tried any of those combinations.

I'm very wary of balsamic vinegar (it's used far too widely and too heavily, I believe) - but I'm sure it works really well in this salad

A perfect salad for these hot August days

Thank you @Wandering Bob :)
I agree with you about Balsamic vinegar: too many people use it very bad, they cover the flavour of food. It's a great product but to "hand with care". I don't use it often, even if mixed with these ingredients it's perfect to me..let me know if you'd give it a try

Last edited:
Fantastic @MypinchofItaly! I adore watermelon, especially when its really cold, straight from the fridge. I will definitely try this recipe!

On holiday recently, one of my favorite lunches was a prosciutto and watermelon salad. I think it was dressed with white balsamic, and included lettuce, tomato and cucumber.

Fantastic @MypinchofItaly! I adore watermelon, especially when its really cold, straight from the fridge. I will definitely try this recipe!

On holiday recently, one of my favorite lunches was a prosciutto and watermelon salad. I think it was dressed with white balsamic, and included lettuce, tomato and cucumber.

Ciao @epicuric, thank you :thankyou:
I've never tasted prosciutto with watermelon, but I have eaten lot of prosciutto (raw ham) with cantaloupe melon (and sometimes with addiction of some mozzarella slices)..anyway, both are fantastic summer fruits, perfect to combine with many ingredients, salty as well!
I'm glad you like my version, let me know how is gone :wink:

Now that's two new salads I have to try! What is Asiago cheese like? I've never come across that before.

Asiago cheese is a very delicate cheese and I think it can be found in supermarkets in the UK. I suggest to buy for this recipe the quality Mezzano (Middle) sweetish taste. If you do not find it, you can replace it with scamorza (not smoked) or Provolone (not smoked) or even white stilton.

A pretty salad. Watermelon and feta - perfect (its that salty sweet combo works so well). I've made something similar with melon...talking of which, I have one ready to eat. I must do something inventive with it.

A pretty salad. Watermelon and feta - perfect (its that salty sweet combo works so well). I've made something similar with melon...talking of which, I have one ready to eat. I must do something inventive with it.

Maybe combined with cottage cheese mixed with chives or other fresh herbs?

How about throwing it on the grill, and/or pickling the rind?

How about throwing it on the grill, and/or pickling the rind?

I've heard about pickled rind but never tried it. I ended up making something different from the excellent suggestions - mainly to use what I had to hand and to experiment with sumac. I'll post it up as soon as I get a chance.

Back
Top Bottom