Ways to use celery

Mirepoix and Holy Trinity classic ingredient.

I also chop it into stuffing, to be cooked.

It is great for using on a veggie platter with a couple dips or so. Beats the heck out of raw carrots!

I've stuffed ribs of celery with goat cheese or cream cheese, laced with capers and/or dill and/or a few other things that don't immediately come to mind. .

Good chopped raw into tuna salad.

Beats the heck out of raw carrots!

I've stuffed ribs of celery with goat cheese or cream cheese, laced with capers and/or dill and/or a few other things that don't immediately come to mind. .

Good chopped raw into tuna salad.
I much prefer raw carrots over raw celery.

At one time I only used celery to add crunch or bulk to salads. Now I use it more as a base ingredient to add a subtle peppery flavour to dishes, which comes out when its softened or cooked down. A mirepoix is a classic example, I also add celery to dishes such as slow cooked beef shin ragu, casseroles and stews.

I’ve just reminded about something my mom uses to make: chopped celery stalk flavoured with grated Bottarga and a drizzle of Evoo, then spread on bread slice. I need to check for Bottarga (mullet roe) and make this again

Last edited:
Must be time for my celery story...

I was working and living in Eritrea at the time and had been on a short break in the capital, Asmara. The shops there sometimes turned up things we couldn't find in Assab, where I was based. On this occasion, I spotted celery in a shop and bought some. Little things like this could make your day.

When I was at the airport to get back to Assab, we went through the usual security checks. I was searched by a young woman who pulled out my bag of celery from my luggage and gave me a quizzical look. "What is this?" she asked. Now, most fruit and vegetables are known by the Italian word in Eritrea, but I didn't know the word for celery. After a brief think, I said, "Salata," meaning salad. Thankfully, she seemed satisfied with this and put the celery back in my bag. Evidently, it was something she'd never seen before, which suggested I was lucky to find it at all.

Although I am an Acadian and live in the heart of Cajun Country I do not always use the Holy Trinity (onions, celery and bell pepper) and da Pope (garlic). I do use onions in almost every savory dish. Garlic in many. Bell pepper and celery selectively. I like to munch on raw celery or celery stuffed with anything - peanut butter, sour cream, cream cheese, goat cheese, yogurt. I use celery in soups and stews. A favorite is chicken or turkey celery soup. Celery is the star. I use an entire bunch with leaves. We only cook turkey for family gatherings. I frequently buy rotisserie chicken or bake my own. I use the carcass and extra meat to make a soup with LOTS of celery. Turkey/chicken celery soup was G's Mother's recipe. She added a good bit of rice to the soup. I rarely add rice. If I do add rice it is only 1/2 cup for a large pot of soup.
I also use celery in tuna salad or chicken salad (minced), crudité platters, sometimes in a veggie salad.
Celery does have a very unique flavor profile and can overpower a dish if not used judiciously. I would like to try a cream of celery soup.
Thanks for the discussion. Good topic.

Back
Top Bottom