What are you wearing today (2020-2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not quite what the origina singer meant with Old time religion, I gather :wink:
I live in the uppermost part of “The Bible Belt” - notoriously evangelical part of the country.

I bought this shirt at a Celtic festival as a little inside joke to myself. The illustration has the text “Give me that old time religion” along the bottom, which is a standard, rousing gospel song, but the image is that of people dancing in a circle around Stonehenge - so it’s using a Christian song to advocate for an older religion.

The reason it’s an inside joke, I bought it first for the sheer cheekiness of it, but secondly to see how many people would see it and give me a comment like, “Preach it, brother!” or “Me an’ Jesus like that shirt!” - meaning they’d read the words, but failed to take in the true meaning.

Let’s just say…this ol’ atheist has not been disappointed! :laugh:

And there I was thinking you were a pagan 😂
Every so often over the years, I’ve examined my beliefs (raised in an evangelical home), and pretty early into looking into anything, I hit a stumbling block…over the belief part, so I’m taking that as a pretty strong sign to ignore all of it. :laugh:

Every so often over the years, I’ve examined my beliefs (raised in an evangelical home), and pretty early into looking into anything, I hit a stumbling block…over the belief part, so I’m taking that as a pretty strong sign to ignore all of it. :laugh:

Dallas is the "Buckle" on the Bible Belt. Texas, overall is evangelical christian.

A bill requiring the Ten Commandments to be posted in Texas classrooms is dead after failing to get a vote by the House before a crucial Tuesday night deadline.

Senate Bill 1515 sailed through the Texas Senate on party-line votes last month and received initial approval from a House committee on May 16, but it was among dozens of bills that didn’t get a House floor vote before the midnight deadline.

The bill would have required public school classrooms to display copies of the Ten Commandments that are at least 16 inches wide and 20 inches tall, and “in a size and typeface that is legible to a person with average vision from anywhere in the classroom.”
-- The Texas Tribune, May 24, 2023

Yes, that is 2023, not 1823.

CD

Dallas is the "Buckle" on the Bible Belt. Texas, overall is evangelical christian.

A bill requiring the Ten Commandments to be posted in Texas classrooms is dead after failing to get a vote by the House before a crucial Tuesday night deadline.

Senate Bill 1515 sailed through the Texas Senate on party-line votes last month and received initial approval from a House committee on May 16, but it was among dozens of bills that didn’t get a House floor vote before the midnight deadline.

The bill would have required public school classrooms to display copies of the Ten Commandments that are at least 16 inches wide and 20 inches tall, and “in a size and typeface that is legible to a person with average vision from anywhere in the classroom.”
-- The Texas Tribune, May 24, 2023

Yes, that is 2023, not 1823.

CD
I read and article yesterday saying the book banning thing in the US has bitten back and in one area bibles due to the violent content will be removed from school.

I can't describe what the book banning thing looks like from over here.

Terrifying is the only word I can conjure.

I read and article yesterday saying the book banning thing in the US has bitten back and in one area bibles due to the violent content will be removed from school.

I can't describe what the book banning thing looks like from over here.

Terrifying is the only word I can conjure.

Parents can request that books they find offensive due to sex and/or violence be removed from schools in some states. The goal was to ban books with LGBT themes or characters. But, some are requesting the Bible be removed, because it is full of sex (adultery, incest, etc.) and violence.

I haven't heard that much about the outcomes.

CD

Parents can request that books they find offensive due to sex and/or violence be removed from schools in some states. The goal was to ban books with LGBT themes or characters. But, some are requesting the Bible be removed, because it is full of sex (adultery, incest, etc.) and violence.

I haven't heard that much about the outcomes.

CD
The outcome is that the Bible is now banned too, it made headlines here. I think it's only fair, if we're banning violence in books no one can deny the Bible is full of it regardless of whether you believe in the Bible or not.
Of course, I personally believe this is the wrong way to go about it but let's not have that discussion here.
Utah primary schools ban Bible for 'vulgarity and violence'

The outcome is that the Bible is now banned too, it made headlines here. I think it's only fair, if we're banning violence in books no one can deny the Bible is full of it regardless of whether you believe in the Bible or not.
Of course, I personally believe this is the wrong way to go about it but let's not have that discussion here.
Utah primary schools ban Bible for 'vulgarity and violence'

Well, Utah is a Mormon state, and Evangelical Christians consider the Mormon church an illegitimate religion... a cult. :laugh:

CD

Some photos of us today.
FaceApp_1686417111744.jpg

FaceApp_1686417477653.jpg

My wife ordered me some shirts from my usual tailor whilst she was in Bangkok recently. They arrived on Wednesday. She chose the colours/patterns.

New shirts June s.jpg

The tailor did point out to her that I preferred darker colours but she ignored him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom