What are your interest/hobbies - besides cooking

I only shop if I really need to, wandering around shops is quite stressful because after a while everything starts to look the same :o_o:. Although yesterday I did see a lovely t-shirt but at £45.00 I left the store without it.
Sorry @morning glory @Karen W , I just don't enjoy it :(

I have started doing wasgijs again. Once the warmer weather and lighter nights return I will be back outside gardening or running.

I shop in my nightgown LOL. Every Saturday morning at about 5 a.m. I love to watch a fashion show on television called Wake up in Style. They are at evine.com, but you probably don't get the channel where you are. I like their brands like Indigo thread co., One world, Kate and Mallory. I'm accustomed to the way the clothes fit, pretty much. Recently I found a a Black velvet duster/coat/kimono with fringe on the bottom hemline (similar to a piano shawl), and embroidery on the sleeves. Kind of a reinvented throwback from the 60s and 70s. I never would have been able to afford it, even if I were able to find it in the stores. Their clothing is pretty unique. Boho with a California vibe, and affordable. I used to sew and make many of my own clothes, so I know how expensive it can be.

Last edited:
Part deux. I used to be an avid sewer. I made about two to three garments a week, and samples for a fabric store. The fabric store paid for the materials. The samples were on display for about a month, then I got to keep the garments. I worked on a studio lot, and thought I could turn my hobby into a profession. I wanted to get into the Wardrobe department on the Studio lot to make costumes for movies etcetera. Getting into their Union was like a catch-22. You have to be a member of the Union to work in the department, but at the same time you couldn't work at that department unless you were a union member. I never figured it out. Instead I made clothes for myself and Friends, and sold a few of my own creations. Thought about opening up a boutique, but stuck with my day job.

Knitting, reading, stamp collecting, family history research. I also have to do my share of walking our Siberian husky.

I also have to do my share of walking our Siberian husky.

They are feisty dogs I think.

Stamp collecting - now that is interesting. I haven't come across anyone who does that since I was a kid (when I did it too). It was a popular hobby back then. Do you have any 'rare' stamps?

I finally finished a project I've been working on for DD. She's a Wiccan, which for those that don't know is a very nature oriented, do unto others as you would have them do unto you way of life, as one of the core beliefs is that your actions return to you times 3. Anyway, she has wanted a Book of Shadows/grimoire for a long time so I offered to make her one for a present. She chose an Egyptian theme as she loves Ancient Egypt. There is a cartouche on the front right edge in the center that has her name in hieroglyphs. The god Anubis and goddess Bastet are featured on the front center top and bottom of the scarab, which is reaching for a lapis lazuli gemstone carved into a scarab. The chain hinges have panels from a vintage Art Deco silver bracelet I found. The inside front and back cover pages are a print I found of Anubis. The book.tassel is black velvet and royal.blue satin wound with sliver ribbon and peacock tail eye feathers and swords. The 3 bookmarks are macrame with charms attached. I also made a bag for the book out of the black velvet. There is also an ink pen shaped like a statue of Anubis.
full

full

full

full

Last edited:
I design and build things of mechanical and/or electrical nature. When we bought our house 5 years ago, it was "powered" by propane gas, stored out back in a giant tank. I've always disliked propane, so set out to eliminate it. We did the water heater first, buying a brand new electric one, then the clothes dryer. Electric power was easily run from the main in-house circuit breaker panel via a hole cut in the ceiling, over and down to the closet which had enclosed the gas water heater. Two items to go: kitchen stove, and furnace; that's the "biggie"! For them, I had to go outdoors to a sub-panel feeding the A/C and my shop. Reasoning that A/C and heat would never be used simultaneously, there was easily sufficient capacity there. Heat Strips totaling 12,000 watts were installed in the furnace, along with several safety switch devices I added. A nice used electric range was bought and the gas range given away. All wiring was run in metal conduit. Really nothing in these projects lend themselves to pictures, though.

So, here is one of my big projects, completed over a period of 7 years while we lived in Missouri:

Designed and built from scratch, the only finished part bought was the front knuckle-coupler. I machined and fabricated all other parts. Weight: engine, 1,000 lbs, tender, 400 lbs. Length: engine 8 feet, tender 5 feet. Track gauge 7-1/2 inches, scale 1/8 or 1-1/2 inches per foot.

During construction:

Machining a wheel for the tender:

The cylinder block and cylinder and piston valve liners:

Making a driving wheel, 9-1/2 inches diameter:

Mechanism detail:

The locomotive I modeled it from, Chicago Burlington & Quincy # 5632, a Northern type CBQ built themselves, in their shops in Iowa, 1940. They built nearly 30 of these over a 7 year period!

I laid 750 feet of track, a series of loops, with a switch allowing the loco to be stored in my shop building. My wife took the pic from across the road on our front porch.

It was running on propane, dang it!

Back
Top Bottom