What are your other hobbies and interests?

Music is my first love and what I'm most passionate about. I love to write music and find peace when I'm performing with my band. I love everything that comes with being a musician.

Yesterday, I received my first ever royalty statement, so I feel like a real author now. True, I won't be going very far on the proceeds (day return to North Berwick, maybe) but one has to start somewhere.
Yay, congratulations. You may not be able to go very far, maybe a trip to the pub for a celebratory pint?!

Yay, congratulations. You may not be able to go very far, maybe a trip to the pub for a celebratory pint?!

It just so happens that a delivery of beer is on its way to this very house this afternoon, so there might just be one or two opened tonight (though one must remember not to open bottle-conditioned ale for a few days or the kitchen ceiling gets sprayed).

I have recently taken up reweaving the tops of stools... It is wonderful fun and my first stool has been a great success.

I recently inherited a stool where the top was on its last legs. It was also an interesting colour combination being red and yellow chequers! The string had broken in many places underneath and was tied multiple times. I had had to untwist many of the strings getting it to be flat again and in the end decided enough was enough. We didn't like the colour combination, so quit with it. I bought some seagrass and watched a 5 minute YouTube video, decided it couldn't be that hard and took the scissors to the stool....

DSC_0637.JPG
Before

DSC_0656.JPG
During - not quite done, still needing a tie off and a general hair cut...

DSC_0689.JPG
After - the finished article. I went with a slightly harder weave than the basic one, a more open chequer. The picture really does the stool no justice at all.

I have a kids chair to do next, plus another stool which should keep me occupied for a while. I have considered basket weaving as well, but lack the space to be able to soak the willow beforehand. Oh well.

This made me laugh and grimace at the same time. I've just had a glance at my book page in Amazon and noticed that one seller was selling my book for £67.49. Pretty impressive as the publisher's RRP is £6.99. All I can say is good luck with that one...
It is when I see things like that, that my immediate thought is that it is not what they are selling. Buy this book* and we will send you drugs/TV/car instead...

*insert any other commodity... guess I am too suspicious by half!

Right... just to show it wasn't a one off with the seagrass weaving...

This is a chair that my brother and I have known all of our lives. It is a child's chair and given that we are both into our 4th decade, I was a touch surprised when I took it apart to find out that originally it was a red and brown check on the seagrass.

We knew it like this (well, on the chair actually, but this was the seat and I wanted to 'study' some of the knots, so I took both top and bottom off as whole as I could.

DSC_0759_800.jpg

The inside came as a surprise to both of us. We have never, ever known it red! So I am reckoning that it must be at least 60 years old? I have no idea how long seagrass lasts! I know woven stuff lasts a long time, but how long?

DSC_0760_800.jpg

Anyhow, the end result is this, which I am pretty pleased with. Now I just need a kid... :whistling:

DSC_0776_800.jpg
DSC_0775_800.jpg

Anyhow, that is 2 down and 2 to go!

I have recently started to knit again after many years away but an struggling a bit. I seem to be spending a great deal of time on youtube watching people do what I am attempting to do. I appear to have developed 10 thumbs :o_o:

Other than cooking I enjoy writing poetry and writing in general, playing guitar and singing. Recently I started some mild composing as I like to call it. I have my own songs so the composing is just finding the rhythm with the chords. So following music in my head is what I basically do :). I also like riding my bike, running, playing several sports, etc. I actually run long distance races. Usually half marathons.Craft work is another thing that makes me feel good and recently I started to learn about hair cutting. I obviously like creating things.

Another of my woven seagrass stools, that I completed today.

I tried a tight diamond weave pattern for the first time. Lets just say I managed to achieve an optical illusion with my paper pattern to follow which keeps sending me dizzy...

optical illusion.jpg
Optical illusion (click on it for a clearer image!)

DSC_0820a.jpg DSC_0816a.jpg
The top and then the bottom...

You actually have to weave the pattern twice, once for the top and once for the bottom otherwise you end up with loose strands and very unsatisfactory results and a 'cheap' solution (it is much faster not to weave the bottom of the stool, but nowhere near as nice.)

A friend of mine has just sent me a very long email that encompasses a textual analysis of my book, not to mention proofreading and literary criticism. Yikes.

Now some people might be offended by such in depth analysis, but in truth, I'm flattered that anyone should go to all this trouble. Besides which, I agreed with just about everything he said.

When I am not cooking, baking and eating during my free time I love to read books and magazines that are educational and which makes my mind buzzing!! At the same time I also love to write where I can express my happiness and loneliness in life...And once a week I do my Zumba Dancing which really makes me perspire sweating it out all my stresses in life..Sometimes during weekends me and my husband go hiking one of our favorite bonding time together.

Aside from the hobbies and interests that I mentioned I had an additional hobby just lately and that is scrapbook making to cherish special moments by gathering all our family pictures together and to make a creative scrapbook with different themes, events and stories. I had made one already and it is very fulfilling to see those pictures for keepsakes.

Back
Top Bottom