What commercially available products will you never purchase again because your homemade version is so much better?

I make "red sauce" without tomatoes. In SW, Tex-Mex and Mexican, most "red sauce" is made from dried chilis. I make my own chili sauces, red or green.

I've lived in Texas since 1974. Yes, there is a Texas version of Red Sauce. I do get the whole red sauce/green sauce thing, but in context. If I'm eating Tex-Mex, it means one thing. If I'm eating Italian/American, it means something else.

CD

I've lived in Texas since 1974. Yes, there is a Texas version of Red Sauce. I do get the whole red sauce/green sauce thing, but in context. If I'm eating Tex-Mex, it means one thing. If I'm eating Italian/American, it means something else.

CD

Just replying to what was not quite accurate. Red sauce is not limited to "tomato" based sauces. I'm well aware of the difference, in context, but thanks for pointing it out.

I'm now confused (not uncommon!). What is 'red sauce' in the USA or is it a matter of regional definitions? In the UK it doesn't exist.

I'm now confused (not uncommon!). What is 'red sauce' in the USA or is it a matter of regional definitions? In the UK it doesn't exist.
It's just a generic term, probably more contextual than regional.

For example, once we were out at our local Italian place, and they'd advertised their pasta special, and the description said something like, "Spaghetti noodles tossed in a mildly spicy red sauce..."

I'm going to be a right smart ass but it's true Olive Oil, my favorite BIL has a lot of trees in Gdin on Hvar, our contribution to " your homemade" is Mrs Blank helping to pick them as I snore under a tree. The first press is so fragrant.
You are so right. My cousin also has a small olive orchard in Turkey and sometimes he sends me traditional stone pressed olive oil and when I taste it, I hate even the most expensive boutique store bought ones.

I hate even the most expensive boutique store bought ones.
Back in the day, the owner of this site in Bolton was a good friend. He buys very good quality olive oil in bulk then bottles it and sells it on the internet in the UK. His marketing strategy in the UK was " 80% of the people who buy oil buy it for the bottle and name to display in their kitchen" He continuously changes his Guest oils creating demand. His profit margins made my eyes water.
guest olive oil. Check out his Balsamic. He has cut down the age range. I was importing office chairs from Mussolente Vinceza, two super cube road trains a month. So back in the day when my mate was starting he would get free transport and I would get looked after.

Back
Top Bottom