What cooking oil do you use?

I always use extra virgin oil,both for fry both for seasoning and also to do some biscuits. In Italy we produce and use a lot of EVO, particularly in the South. In the north (Milano,where I live), used also the butter to fry for some traditional recipes as the cutlet or to mix risotti. In the South of Italy is very rare to use butter.Maybe they only used it on the slices bread with jam for breakfast ( but I don't bet!). I use and love also peanuts oil.

My wife picked this up today. I've not heard of this brand before. Product of Seville.

Fragata olive oil.jpg

Neither I haven't heard it before. But at first sight looks interesting. Will you use for seasoning or fry?

Normally only for shallow frying. Occasionally as salad dressing but I tend to prefer balsamic vinegar for the latter. I obviously haven't tried this Fragata yet but my wife may try it for blending the various chili pastes that she concocts.

Today I'll use peanuts oil to frying tunafish balls that I have prepare for lunch. And as side dish I'll prepare a salad with raw spinach and certainly I'll use extra Virgin oil with some drop of lemon.I don't like much winegar, neither balsamic. I could also try linen oil..my friends suggested me to use it into salads, seems it's very quoted!
Normally only for shallow frying. Occasionally as salad dressing but I tend to prefer balsamic vinegar for the latter. I obviously haven't tried this Fragata yet but my wife may try it for blending the various chili pastes that she concocts.

I use cold-pressed rapeseed oil for deep frying, a cheaper (cooking-grade) olive oil for shallow frying/stir fries, no oil at all for dry-frying :D and a reasonably decent affordable EVOO for dressings. I can't stand the taste of coconut oil, but I do give it to or put it on the dog to keep his coat nice.

There is a good article here about the different types of oils: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33675975

I use grapeseed oil for most frying, olive oil for light sauteeing, peanut oil for stir fry, and canola oil when a recipe calls for vegetable oil.

Oh, and corn oil to wipe the grill before grilling.

I saw some canola oil in the supermarket a week or so ago. There was only one bottle actually on top of the shelves (where a lone Thai could not hope to reach it). I took it down and inspected it but it was un-priced. I replaced it - not having time to wait until the multitude of staff were located in order to determine the price.

Its the same as rapeseed oil.
Not quite.
Canola oil is not genetically modified. Rapeseed is despite them both technically being rapeseed. Back in the 70s I think, rapeseed got such a bad press that it was renamed and relaunched under the name of canola-oil where canola-oil was no longer GM. They went back to an older variety and the standard method of selective fertilisation to control the variety.
cold-pressed rapeseed oil is the healthy stuff, even if it is used in biodiesel production without any further processing.....
I think it is the other way around. Canola oil is the non GM version of rapeseed oil.

I'll refer you both to my post with links, on page 3. Not all of it has copied, so here's the link...
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/what-cooking-oil-do-you-use.82/page-3#post-64405

I'm surprised you are using Canola @SatNavSaysStraightOn as it is from GM crops (at least I think it is). It certainly is in America. In the EU laws prevent growing of GM Rapeseed .
Genetic modification (GMO) and selective breeding are not the same thing.
Read this http://www.canolacouncil.org/oil-and-meal/canola-oil/canola-the-myths-debunked/

Canola is not rapeseed. It looks the same on the outside but it's very different on the inside, where it matters. In the late 1960s, plant scientists used traditional plant breeding methods to get rid of rapeseed's undesirable qualities - erucic acid and glucosinolates. That means canola oil and meal are different from rapeseed oil and meal.

Rapeseed is the one to avoid, not oilseed rape btw which is what canola oil is called in Europe...

The European Union (EU) countries together produce more canola than Canada. Europeans call their canola "oilseed rape" - and call the oil "rape oil" or "rapeseed oil" - but it is canola. They chose not to adopt the new name "canola" when it was developed. So Europeans consume canola oil every day - and have ever since canola was introduced in Europe shortly after being developed in Canada.

The difference is that European farmers are prevented by law from growing genetically modified canola (or any GM crop). Europeans therefore consume canola oil from non-GM plants. Most of the canola oil from Canada can be exported to the EU and the EU has also approved some of the GM canola seed for processing.

Canola oil produced from GM plants is safe and healthy. And canola oil itself does not contain any GM ingredients. The GM modification is made to one canola gene and it is a protein. All proteins are removed from canola oil during processing so canola oil made from GM plants is no different from conventional canola oil

GM crops are most likely banned in Australia as well, though I haven't looked this up. even little things like bone char for cleaning sugar and making it white has been banned here since the 80s. I wish the UK had similar restrictions. few people realise that sugar isn't even vegetarian in the UK.

All GM crops are banned in Australian foods, and cannot be grown here.

Last edited:
Not quite.
Canola oil is not genetically modified. Rapeseed is despite them both technically being rapeseed. Back in the 70s I think, rapeseed got such a bad press that it was renamed and relaunched under the name of canola-oil where canola-oil was no longer GM. They went back to an older variety and the standard method of selective fertilisation to control the variety.

I think it is the other way around. Canola oil is the non GM version of rapeseed oil.
GM crops are banned in the UK too at the moment. The point of my reply was that cold-pressed rapeseed oil is the healthy one, hot-pressed rapeseed oil is not. I doubt whether a lot of people would be aware that there is a difference between the two.

Back
Top Bottom