What Cuisines/Dishes Are You Not Willing to Try?

i have spent time in Germany, in fairness I was not as adventurous then but I didn't find it to my liking. I don't recall ever seeing a recipe for German/Polish/Russian dishes and thinking 'wow, I must try that', unlike probably 90% of French/Italian/Spanish/Greek/Middle Eastern recipes. Just a personal preference, probably driven by the fact that English cuisine draws heavily on French, and that I have spent more time around the Med.

i have spent time in Germany, in fairness I was not as adventurous then but I didn't find it to my liking. I don't recall ever seeing a recipe for German/Polish/Russian dishes and thinking 'wow, I must try that', unlike probably 90% of French/Italian/Spanish/Greek/Middle Eastern recipes. Just a personal preference, probably driven by the fact that English cuisine draws heavily on French, and that I have spent more time around the Med.

Actually, having lived in both countries, English and Dutch food are very similar. Also Traditional Dutch food has been heavily influcenced by the French, due to the French occupation of our country as well as Belgium being close to France and partially part of it in history.
I am pretty sure you've had dishes like Moules Mariniere, Croissants, Fish with white butter sauce, all kinds of gratins, meat dishes with wine sauce etc, and salted caramels and so on. Those dishes are all part of Dutch cultural heritage too.
Now I am not saying we're the most interesting kitchen in the world (we're not) but we're also not quite as dull as the stereotypes portray us.

But it is indeed an entirely different palate to the medittereanean. I prefer more rustic cuisines (French, northern) and very spicy ones (Indonesian, Indian).

Staying just with the question of things I am not "willing to try," first on the list is insects. That baby bird in the egg thing TR mentioned is a no-go for me, too.

CD

Agreed. I need to admit I never tried much of the cuisine from those countries but when I look at their recipes they somehow feel heavy and warm, maybe because I come from a mediterranean country?

Agreed. I need to admit I never tried much of the cuisine from those countries but when I look at their recipes they somehow feel heavy and warm, maybe because I come from a mediterranean country?

Well yes that's what I tried to say, they are heavier indeed. But that's because we're living in a cold climate, and you need hearty food to get around here. Even the children of Indonesian immigrants took a liking to mashed potatoes after living here, as I am an example of.

This surprised me. What is the issue. Black pudding... you like that. Or am I missing a joke here. Very probably as I'm not my usual self and barely cooking.

I'll try most things and I would definitely try the Icelandic Hakari. Not sure I could eat a tarantula though. It could depen on how much you were prepared to pay me. I posted a clip of Gordon Ramsay doing eating a tarantula a while back.

Tarantula mating season is soon upon us, so the nicely colored males will come out of hiding. I won't eat one, but I do catch them and relocate them to the open country.

CD

I absolutely love German and German-inspired foods. It's a tie with me between that and Italian-American food.

Potatoes, noodles, sausages, dumplings, cabbage, they're fantastic, and I also think German baked goods, especially their pastries and fruit tarts, get overlooked. They're world-class.

Well yes that's what I tried to say, they are heavier indeed. But that's because we're living in a cold climate, and you need hearty food to get around here. Even the children of Indonesian immigrants took a liking to mashed potatoes after living here, as I am an example of.

I’ve already tried Dutch cuisine when I have been to Amsterdam years ago, and as I maybe have already said, I liked it a lot and I’ve also recognised similar tastes with the cuisine from the mountain area of Lombardy and Piedmont too, Italian regions not famous for their mediterranean climate. Same for Germany, I have been there several times both for holiday trips and for work, I liked a lot that food.

TR... I had to do some research on Opah. Not something I'd expect to see in Ohio. It is caught mostly between Southern California and Hawaii.

Opah offers several cuts of meat distinguished by different grains and color. Traditionally sold cuts of top loin, center filet and tenderloin range in color from a pale salmon to a beefy deep red, but turn whitish when cooked. With seasoning, the meat can taste like tuna, pork or beef when grilled or seared. Or it can replace raw tuna in sashimi, ceviche or poke.

Both the pink fatty belly cuts, which fry up like fish sticks or pork chicharones and are comparable to pork belly, and the dark red abductor muscle, also known as tri-tip, were previously discarded.

CD

Well yes that's what I tried to say, they are heavier indeed. But that's because we're living in a cold climate, and you need hearty food to get around here.
I'm on record as saying I prefer Winter to Summer. In the fashionista topic, I mentioned that part of the reason is that I also like Winter fashions better than Summer ones.

Well, no surprise, that extends to my food tastes as well. I love making and eating heavy foods. Stews, roasts, dumplings, Winter veg, weighty breads, substantial sauces, pasta, etc.

Salads and light bites are fine, but when the temp drops, I want the stout foods!

TR... I had to do some research on Opah. Not something I'd expect to see in Ohio. It is caught mostly between Southern California and Hawaii.
Hey, we're sophisticated around these parts! :)

I ran into that beast at Dorothy Lane Markets, a 3-store Dayton chain, and my favorite place to shop for food:

Dorothy Lane Market - Wikipedia
Home - Dorothy Lane Market

I’ve already tried Dutch cuisine when I have been to Amsterdam years ago, and as I maybe have already said, I liked it a lot and I’ve also recognised similar tastes with the cuisine from the mountain area of Lombardy and Piedmont too, Italian regions not famous for their mediterranean climate. Same for Germany, I have been there several times both for holiday trips and for work, I liked a lot that food.

Thank you for showing your appreciation! Our cuisine needs more recognition 😃 🙏

Yes, Piedmont is know for their hearty, rich food. My father's friend is an Italian from Piedmont who makes ice cream, he's won the Coppa'd oro at least five times. I know the region a little through him.
I like hearty, creamy, rich, and spicy cuisine. Which is why when it comes to Indian food I also prefer the northern regions where there is a lot of ghee and cream used in the food. When it comes to Indonesian food, my family is from Sumatra where coconut cream is used aplenty. I guess I just like fat lol .

I'm on record as saying I prefer Winter to Summer. In the fashionista topic, I mentioned that part of the reason is that I also like Winter fashions better than Summer ones.

Well, no surprise, that extends to my food tastes as well. I love making and eating heavy foods. Stews, roasts, dumplings, Winter veg, weighty breads, substantial sauces, pasta, etc.

Salads and light bites are fine, but when the temp drops, I want the stout foods!

Explains why I like your food so much :okay:

I also prefer winter over summer, though fall is my favorite season. Same for foods indeed.

Actually, having lived in both countries, English and Dutch food are very similar. Also Traditional Dutch food has been heavily influcenced by the French, due to the French occupation of our country as well as Belgium being close to France and partially part of it in history.
I am pretty sure you've had dishes like Moules Mariniere, Croissants, Fish with white butter sauce, all kinds of gratins, meat dishes with wine sauce etc, and salted caramels and so on. Those dishes are all part of Dutch cultural heritage too.
Now I am not saying we're the most interesting kitchen in the world (we're not) but we're also not quite as dull as the stereotypes portray us.

But it is indeed an entirely different palate to the medittereanean. I prefer more rustic cuisines (French, northern) and very spicy ones (Indonesian, Indian).
I realised I owe you an apology - when I said north and east of Germany I was referring to the eastern block (as was) and Scandinavia. I was not referring to the Netherlands, although I realise that parts of it are north of parts of Germany. I should have realised - I spent some time in Bracht. No offence intended :)

Back
Top Bottom