What Cuisines/Dishes Are You Not Willing to Try?

Not willing to try:
  • Endangered species
  • Cats, dogs, primates
  • Stinky tofu
  • Natto
  • Hundred year old eggs
  • Live squid (It's a Korean delicacy - the tentacles still wiggle around and can on occasion choke you)
  • Puffer fish (the one with that poisonous liver)
  • Worms, ie earthworms and the like (although I would try mealworms as they have a more crunchy texture - my chickens love them)

Oh, I'd eat that Opah! Maybe not all at once, though...

Ah no, there is one dish I am not willing to try. I'll apologize to those who love it, but not the pineapple pizza. OMG no.
Or pizza or pineapple, never together.

I did try pineapple pizza, at a place where you could buy it by the slice if it were sitting out at the counter. So I got myself ONE slice and another slice of something I knew I'd like.

Don't bother. It's terrible. And like an anchovy pizza, scraping off the pineapple won't help - its juices soak in. (Mind you, I can deal with anchovies - say half a one per slice - on a pizza, but no more than that as the salt content gets to me....) Pineapple - never again!

Pineapple on pizza? For some people it’s a crime. Lucky I don’t like pineapple
8E9B3A8E-C8C1-4216-B72E-426B3561EDC7.jpeg

I did try pineapple pizza, at a place where you could buy it by the slice if it were sitting out at the counter. So I got myself ONE slice and another slice of something I knew I'd like.

Don't bother. It's terrible. And like an anchovy pizza, scraping off the pineapple won't help - its juices soak in. (Mind you, I can deal with anchovies - say half a one per slice - on a pizza, but no more than that as the salt content gets to me....) Pineapple - never again!

Exactly what I think, despite you scrap off the pineapple, its juice soaks on the crust and the rest, OMG...🙊

I have to say instead I’m a fan of anchovies and I love them on pizza, but a bit desalted and max 3-4 fillets, no more or I’ll drink a lake later

We had shark when in Iceland, it was rather nice, no ammonia, apparently it depends on the area regarding how it is treated/served.

I am also certain your Icelandic shark was as fresh as can be. Shark and skates rapidly turn into ammonia cesspits if not cooked within oh, say, 36 - 48 hours. I have eaten shark (dogfish) we caught on vacation in Maine during my teens. We caught and ate them that day. No ammonia flavor at all, and they were good. I do prefer other seafood, but this wasn't bad. Then, out on my own about 20 years ago, I bought supermarket shark - the ammonia made the thing inedible! I'd only buy this again if I were DIRECTLY on the coast at a dedicated seafood shop, not just near the coast.

And with the skate - I'd bought it a few times at the fishmonger's, and it was always good - except one time when it wasn't - definitely had gotten OLD. Didn't finish that one.

I realised I owe you an apology - when I said north and east of Germany I was referring to the eastern block (as was) and Scandinavia. I was not referring to the Netherlands, although I realise that parts of it are north of parts of Germany. I should have realised - I spent some time in Bracht. No offence intended :)

If I came across as offended, please accept my apology too. However, our reputation is bad in general due to how our cuisine was 50 years ago. But that was when our country just came out of a war, the famous story where the American president came over and was only allowed one biscuit with his tea and therefor started the marshall help plan.

But slowly and surely, the Dutch have progressed to become a very inclusive cuisine with flavors from all over the world. The time of overcooked veg with meat and potatoes is behind us. Most kids these days prefer pasta or pizza to potatoes, and Indonesian food is as Dutch as Curry is to the British.

If I came across as offended, please accept my apology too. However, our reputation is bad in general due to how our cuisine was 50 years ago. But that was when our country just came out of a war, the famous story where the American president came over and was only allowed one biscuit with his tea and therefor started the marshall help plan.

But slowly and surely, the Dutch have progressed to become a very inclusive cuisine with flavors from all over the world. The time of overcooked veg with meat and potatoes is behind us. Most kids these days prefer pasta or pizza to potatoes, and Indonesian food is as Dutch as Curry is to the British.
Glad we're OK! You make a very good point about how food has evolved in the past 50 years. British food of 50 years ago sounds much like yours, probably worse because being an island, few people travelled and brought back foreign influences.

Thank you for showing your appreciation! Our cuisine needs more recognition 😃 🙏

Yes, Piedmont is know for their hearty, rich food. My father's friend is an Italian from Piedmont who makes ice cream, he's won the Coppa'd oro at least five times. I know the region a little through him.
I like hearty, creamy, rich, and spicy cuisine. Which is why when it comes to Indian food I also prefer the northern regions where there is a lot of ghee and cream used in the food. When it comes to Indonesian food, my family is from Sumatra where coconut cream is used aplenty. I guess I just like fat lol .

I deliberately avoided tourist restaurants and the Italian ones - as I always do when abroad- it would have been an absurd nonsense to go and eat in an Italian restaurant without understanding and tasting a cuisine completely different from mine. Or so I thought. When I found on my plate the meat I had ordered and other things, I had a culinary dejavù that took me to Northern Italy, and yes, to Piedmont in particular (famous also for meat).
Its cuisine is rich and hearty, lots of cream, hearty cheeses, hearty risotti and butter, at least as much butter as its neighbor Valle D'Aosta, followed by the mountainous part of Lombardy and then Trentino Alto Adige. These are regions where it has always been very cold and I remember the particularly pungent one when I was studying in Turin. The dishes must be substantial to fight the cold and frost that comes directly from the Alps. Milan is more protected, that's why it's not as cold as in Turin.
I have a cousin who has lived in Holland for many years now and when he came back to Milan he brought us some Dutch food to try. I already had an imprinting :)

I think you'd like Piedmont.

Glad we're OK! You make a very good point about how food has evolved in the past 50 years. British food of 50 years ago sounds much like yours, probably worse because being an island, few people travelled and brought back foreign influences.

Yeah it's a sad thing because before the 1900's Dutch cuisine used to be a rich one, heavily influenced by French and Flemish cooking and the German high cuisine which was quite decadent back then. Only after the 1900's the cooking schools for poor young ladies became a thing, and those were focussed on 'proper nutrition' instead of flavor. They made the traditional Dutch cuisine fade away for about 70 years during which two world wars were fought and the cuisine was bland, starchy and plain. The ladies on the poor girls cooking/and household schools learned to boil vegetables to death, serve dry potatoes with every meal and to abhor herbs because they were either too 'sensual' or too expensive. That's how we got our bad name. Because all of this was even worse after world war 2.

We've recovered well now though, and are also reclaiming our cuisine from before the 1900's. Back are the rich, spicy and creamy flavors that used to dominate our palate.

You can't even imagine how much I love British food!
And you have an incredible dairy production.

Back
Top Bottom