What Cuisines/Dishes Are You Not Willing to Try?

Thank you, but I think we are still learning from the French, but we are not far behind now with our cheese.

I don’t think so. Every Country makes products with its own personality, history and skills developed during years. France is big in cheese, but this doesn't mean it’s the only one.
The UK has nothing less compares to France.
Maybe with Italy though... 😂
I’m joking! please, just a quip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting topic. There seems to be some basic commonalities.
There's no particular 'cuisine' I won't eat. My philosophy is if you're going to kill something for food you eat everything so I'm pretty adventurous with most things. Where my personal ethics come in I won't eat:
Anything endangered
Anything killed for a part that's a delicacy
Anything I consider a pet: dog, cat, horse
Insects (incl spiders)
After that it comes down to smell. If something is really funky I'll probably struggle to eat it.
I try & eat ethically sourced where I can, so free-range eggs/chicken, line-caught fish (or farmed, meat direct from the farm rather than unknown from the supermarket
A lot of the items mentioned by others would probably fall into my 'delicacy' or 'funky' category

Exactly what I think, despite you scrap off the pineapple, its juice soaks on the crust and the rest, OMG...🙊

I have to say instead I’m a fan of anchovies and I love them on pizza, but a bit desalted and max 3-4 fillets, no more or I’ll drink a lake later

The best rant I could find about pineapple pizza was Gordon Ramsay.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4AVk4gQPVo

I wish Jon Stewart would have don a rant on pineapple pizza like the one he did on Chicago deep dish "pizza."

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W5fT6rNWDg

MyPinch, have you had Chicago Style Deep Dish "Pizza?" It is a very tasty casserole. But, it's not a pizza. (That should stir things up) :p:

CD

Absolutely agree,
and I'm sorry they have such a low reputation. There are dishes, recipes, products that wow, really deserve to be taken more seriously by other countries (mine first included, but it's a tough fight).
And as I've already said, I am also really impressed by the cheeses, wonderful ... in fact every time I take some away from the UK to take to Italy and believe me, from my parents to my friends, everyone says 'but are they really English cheeses? Wow, they're good!'

The UK, well mostly England, wasn't making good food thirty years ago, from my own travel experiences. Scotland, especially Edinburgh had some wonderful cuisine. But, a lot of it heavily French influenced. But, I could tell the chefs were focused on producing world class food.

England has come a LONG way, and I give them kudos for that. Not just curry, either. Traditional English food is being prepared with care, as it should be, because it is good food, when cooked with care.

There are a lot of places known for good cheese, and England is deservedly one of them. The last time I was in England -- at a manor house in Shakespeare country, I had a cheeseboard with some fine vintage Porto, and it was outstanding.

CD

We hated Brexit so much it was one of the reasons we moved here. I try to suppress my feelings of schadenfreude because of my UK friends and of course the impact it will have on the most needy in my once great nation.

Could have been worse, Brexit and Trump.

CD

Pretty hard to avoid the stereotypes on the internet I am afraid. Culinary history is a particular obsession for me, so I can say some things about it. Unfortunately most books on Dutch culinary heritage are on my shelf but written only in Dutch. Though www.tasteatlas.com has a very broad selection of Dutch dishes available for viewing if you want a general idea.

I would describe traditional Dutch cooking as a hearty, rustic type of food comparable to British, Northern French ( Britanny, Normandy) , High German and Belgian cuisine.
It has a lot of seafood based food and small game like rabbits and hares, and a lot of dairy. Bread , butter and cheese are an ancient staple food, because before Columbus grains and dairy were our main staple foods.
Now, the potato is a staple food too but mainly in the shape of home fries or mash. Plain boiled potatoes are out of fashion.

Pancakes and poffertjes ( takoyaki in Japan) are also very popular foods as TastyReuben mentioned. We even have pancake only restaurants .
As a side mention, the Japanese traded only with the Dutch in the 16th century. Through us they have their dishes named Takoyaki ( poffertjes) and Korokke ( kroketten) and birru ( beer) and chizu ( cheese) .

Edit; mispelled takoyaki

Thanks! I think I'd like this.

That's a difficult one. I could easily regard a pig, sheep or chicken as a pet. Pigs, in particular are very intelligent...

I've eaten a lot of chicken over the years. Now I am raising my own, for eggs and sometimes for meat. I'd ordered in 8 chickens (a broiler hybrid destined for the freezer.) When it was time, one of the chickens was simply too friendly for me to do that to. That was two years ago. Celeste is still with me, and I don't care if she ever lays a single egg, she stays with me, and will never be eaten. (At least by me. Can't vouch for predators. ) (She however has laid eggs, just not prolifically.)

I heard recently Taco Bell is coming to Auckland????

Russ

Judge for yourself. Having eaten a lot of good TexMex, and Taco Bell is NOT real Mexican food, by any stretch of the imagination, I won't eat there unless it's the only thing in town, and I'm REALLY hungry.

But, there are people who love it. Especially stoners, and people from states that don't have good TexMex, or stoners from states that don't have good TexMex. Taco Bell is probably very popular in states where pot is legal.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvd5GgVbfrE

CD

Judge for yourself. Having eaten a lot of good TexMex, and Taco Bell is NOT real Mexican food, by any stretch of the imagination, I won't eat there unless it's the only thing in town, and I'm REALLY hungry.

But, there are people who love it. Especially stoners, and people from states that don't have good TexMex, or stoners from states that don't have good TexMex. Taco Bell is probably very popular in states where pot is legal.

CD

I loved baby back ribs in Hawaii, ate there daily. But the chain of ribs were rubbished on a murican site. Trying to remember the name? Romeros? Was 20 years ago.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom