What Cuisines/Dishes Are You Not Willing to Try?

The best thing about Taco Bell is it's cheap. Really cheap. I haven't eaten there this year at all, but there was one within walking distance of my office, and I'd eat there every so often. Bean burrito, crunchy nacho plate and water... $1.98.

Tony Roma's... very middle of the road. First ate there in San Antonio, until I found a much, much better (and cheaper) place.

There was a Tony Roma's in London at one time, but it closed and reopened as a knock-off, something like "Tony's All-American Ribs." My wife and I used to go there all the time, and we talked them into giving a military discount. They never advertised it, but they used to do it for us and anyone we recommended go.

Um, I think you forgot to type a reply. I can't see one.

CD

The best thing about Taco Bell is it's cheap. Really cheap. I haven't eaten there this year at all, but there was one within walking distance of my office, and I'd eat there every so often. Bean burrito, crunchy nacho plate and water... $1.98.

Tony Roma's... very middle of the road. First ate there in San Antonio, until I found a much, much better (and cheaper) place.

There was a Tony Roma's in London at one time, but it closed and reopened as a knock-off, something like "Tony's All-American Ribs." My wife and I used to go there all the time, and we talked them into giving a military discount. They never advertised it, but they used to do it for us and anyone we recommended go.

I believe Tony Roma's started in Dallas, and it was all the rage in the 1980s. I never got it. but got dragged there several times. I honestly thought they went out of business.

CD

Got hidden? You beat me to it , tony Roma's. Had lunch there every day for a week. Americans on another site rubbished them though!!

Russ

Like I said before, they were not BAD ribs. They were chain restaurant ribs. Just not GREAT ribs. Like TR said... middle of the road.

CD

The UK, well mostly England, wasn't making good food thirty years ago, from my own travel experiences. Scotland, especially Edinburgh had some wonderful cuisine. But, a lot of it heavily French influenced. But, I could tell the chefs were focused on producing world class food.

England has come a LONG way, and I give them kudos for that. Not just curry, either. Traditional English food is being prepared with care, as it should be, because it is good food, when cooked with care.

There are a lot of places known for good cheese, and England is deservedly one of them. The last time I was in England -- at a manor house in Shakespeare country, I had a cheeseboard with some fine vintage Porto, and it was outstanding.

CD

Exactly what I have always thought and mostly based on my direct personal experience. I have been to the UK several times and still do (ok, apart from the Covid moment) and I have had often good meals. Sometimes don’t, but this happens everywhere, also in Italy of course.

Think I'd try most things just for the hell of it. Whether I refused to eat something or not would be situational. Someone mentioned puffer fish, and as I understand things they are only safe to eat when prepared by someone with the correct training.
Kiviak sounds awful but I'd probably taste it. Whether I made a meal of it would depend on the taste.

Um, I think you forgot to type a reply. I can't see one.

CD
If you expand the quoted part down, you'll see the reply. Victim of a malformed quote tag. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Re British food 30 years ago. We lived in the UK in the early-to-mid '90's, and we ate out a lot. A lot. We rarely had issues with bad food, and when we did, it invariably was when a British restaurant tried to pull off some kind of Americanized thing (Old Orleans in Oxford, I'm looking at you... :whistling:).

Maybe it was just expectation, but when we were eating there, we were stuffing ourselves fat with "traditional" British foods - Sunday Lunch nearly every weekend, fish-and-chips, bangers-and-mash and the like.

We weren't looking for haute cuisine, and we were rarely disappointed. We ate a lot of steaks. We had great Indian food a few times. We used to get chateaubriand for two in a little hotel in Buckingham...first time I ever had that. Excellent Italian food in Bedford, and Christmas season meals were the best we've ever had, bar none. To my mind, you've not experienced a proper Christmas until you eaten a traditional British Christmas meal. The single best meal I've ever had in my life was at a hotel in Scotland, that specialized in traditional Scottish foods (part of the Taste Of Scotland scheme).

We used to surprise people when they'd ask, "What do/did you like most about living there," and one of our top answers was honestly...the food!

Judge for yourself. Having eaten a lot of good TexMex, and Taco Bell is NOT real Mexican food, by any stretch of the imagination, I won't eat there unless it's the only thing in town, and I'm REALLY hungry.

But, there are people who love it. Especially stoners, and people from states that don't have good TexMex, or stoners from states that don't have good TexMex. Taco Bell is probably very popular in states where pot is legal.

CD

Hmm. We ate at Taco Hell a lot when I was in college in Indiana. I suspect we did it because of reason #3.

It is indeed a terrible excuse for "Mexican" or "Tex Mex" food.

By the way, I didn't discuss it before, but there's not a SINGLE cuisine I am not willing to try. I am looking forward to trying Dutch, some central European and Asian cuisines I've not yet worked my way into. I am also interested in exploring more African cuisines.

A year and a half ago I discovered Vietnamese. Yes, I'd ordered pho once before coming onto my discovery, but that particular restaurant was "meh". It wasn't until I discovered a wonderful restaurant about an hour from here that I knew, really KNEW I love that cuisine. I want to get back there! (Unfortunately no outdoor seating and the things I want to take out just won't last an hour and be really good by the time I take them home - and I already make my own Vietnamese summer rolls.)

If you expand the quoted part down, you'll see the reply. Victim of a malformed quote tag. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Re British food 30 years ago. We lived in the UK in the early-to-mid '90's, and we ate out a lot. A lot. We rarely had issues with bad food, and when we did, it invariably was when a British restaurant tried to pull off some kind of Americanized thing (Old Orleans in Oxford, I'm looking at you... :whistling:).

Maybe it was just expectation, but when we were eating there, we were stuffing ourselves fat with "traditional" British foods - Sunday Lunch nearly every weekend, fish-and-chips, bangers-and-mash and the like.

We weren't looking for haute cuisine, and we were rarely disappointed. We ate a lot of steaks. We had great Indian food a few times. We used to get chateaubriand for two in a little hotel in Buckingham...first time I ever had that. Excellent Italian food in Bedford, and Christmas season meals were the best we've ever had, bar none. To my mind, you've not experienced a proper Christmas until you eaten a traditional British Christmas meal. The single best meal I've ever had in my life was at a hotel in Scotland, that specialized in traditional Scottish foods (part of the Taste Of Scotland scheme).

We used to surprise people when they'd ask, "What do/did you like most about living there," and one of our top answers was honestly...the food!

Back when I was in high school, we spent portions of three summers in Scotland (and a few days or so in England proper).

I found the food to be very good, even if they were still recuperating from WWII shortages. There wasn't a lot in the way of vegetables available, other than potatoes, and sometimes turnips, but this was great. For two of those summers we were set up in a house in Scotland, and my parents did a lot of their own cooking - but the food we brought in was English or Scottish. Lots of good and really fresh seafood, real mutton, and other items.

At that point, at least in Scotland, there wasn't much Indian food, or Italian either. But we were never disappointed and I enjoyed everything (except carrots - but I don't like them much anyway).

I was back in 1995, for a two week visit, and my friends were telling me I should beware the food. Nope, it was excellent! So much great seafood and lamb (no mutton around any more) and yes, i love haggis. Kippers for breakfast. I had steak only once because the lamb which was very inexpensive was a bigger draw to me (which probably was just as well because as soon as I got home the brain disease came out in the papers...) The only thing I didn't care for was the blood sausage, and maybe it was the way that particular establishment made it. I'd try it again. I was amused when we stopped at a small luncheon place and my tablemate ordered the chicken salad - half a small chicken was delivered to her on a bed of lettuce! (I would have enjoyed that but I think I was enjoying smoked trout or something). This time I did stop at an Indian restaurant in Scotland, and it was excellent, and slightly different than the home experience I usually have.

Back
Top Bottom