What did you cook, eat or drink today (February 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chicken cordon bleu. My second attempt and slightly better than the first disaster. With some grass.

The second breast didn't roll too good so I may try baking the "roll" first in foil for about 10 minutes and then encasing it in puff pastry for a chicken cordon bleu Wellington.

Chicken cordon bleu. My second attempt and slightly better than the first disaster. With some grass.

My intention was to use Australian Cheddar but I realised that I had mozarella which was past its sell by date.

Looks great. One of my favorites. I've made a lightened up opened-faced version.

Skillet Chicken Cordon Bleu

https://www.skinnytaste.com/skillet-chicken-cordon-bleu/

Recipe, please! Did you roast the garlic before incorporating in the soup? And, is that one head per bowl, or one head per pot? If you roast the garlic, then one per bowl would be what I'd want to do, though I suspect I'd be quarantined from the rest of the family for a while after that. :laugh:
It was one head per bowl of large garlic. I didn't write down quantities of the other ingredients but it was super-simple.

Roasted garlic (2 whole heads) separated into cloves but not peeled, drizzled with oil then roasted for (covered in foil) for 45 mins or until soft.
Approx. 1/2 an onion chopped and fried in a little oil until softened. Squish out garlic into same pan and add water and almond milk (could use dairy cream or milk). Add 1 slice of white bread torn up. Simmer for a bit with salt & white pepper. Blitz until smooth. Most recipes use chicken stock but I had none so used water.

Our dinner was fantastic. Our new find lived up to my expectations and exceeded them. Expensive, but worth the splurge from time to time. I didn't take pictures. We were so excited when we got our appy plates that I didn't even think about it until we had destroyed them dividing them up. I did manage to take a picture of the wine bottle label. Didn't recognize a single bottle on the wine list, but the 1 we got was great so want to try to find it.

Carpaccio de pulpo. The octopus was so tender you could cut it with a fork. I made a guess on how it was prepared and asked. Got pretty close. Marinated, rolled, compacted into a tight roulade, then cooked sous vide, sliced about 1/4 inch thick, served with a lightly dressed arugula salad, with olives, capers and some kind of tiny lightly pickled veges. They were red, yellow, and orange, very sweet. Maybe just formed sweet peppers? I mean TINY, like half the size of a dime.

Second appy was Burrata e Bresaola della Valtellina. Same type of salad.

Craig had Gnocchi alla Sorrentina. Lovely light little clouds. No lead sinkers here. Topped with buffalo moz. Sauce was made with grape tomatoes, so was nicely balanced, not sweet, not acidy.

I had Ravioli di Cinghiale al Burro e Timo, wild boar filled ravioli in a butter thyme sauce. Rich is all I can say.

We traded bites of the gnocchi and pasta, as well as dessert, which was tiramisu and zabaglione, with espresso. The tiramisu was good (I do like mine better though, but I've tinkered with that to get it perfect for us.) but the zabaglione was fantastic! Complimentary small glasses of limoncelli after.

There were a couple of main courses we both wanted to try, but we were stuffed.

Wow! Sound right up my street - I only wish it was literally so!

The second breast didn't roll too good so I may try baking the "roll" first in foil for about 10 minutes and then encasing it in puff pastry for a chicken cordon bleu Wellington.

If I do that I'll make a chicken cream sauce with it. And roast potatoes, I think. I intended a sauce with the cordon bleu but it slipped my mind (as many things do these days).

You guys live like kings, sad morning here, I've just had tomatoes on toast, lots of s and p. From our garden so they were so sweet. Cup of earl gray tea.

Russ
Home grown tomatoes, roasted, on toast - that's hard to beat!

IMG_1031a.jpg

Having been away all week it was a treat to come home to some decent food. My wife cooked this tuna, crusted in black sesame seeds with a soy dip, pickled cucumber and brown rice. Nice!

Today I did a little experiment. Initially my idea was to use rice, but the look fell on the bulghur wheat I bought a few weeks ago and so I chose it.
I still do not know what to call it, I think of it as I finish it with spoonfuls.
A sweet version of a bulghur wheat cooked in soy milk, cinnamon sticks, brown sugar and some raisins (but I tried two with chocolate chips). Then cook quickly in the oven to gratin and here they are.

Bulghur wheat.jpg

Last edited:
Today I did a little experiment. Initially my idea was to use rice, but the look fell on the bulghur wheat I bought a few weeks ago and so I chose it.
I still do not know what to call it, I think of it as I finish it with spoonfuls.
A sweet version of a buglhur wheat cooked in soy milk, cinnamon, brown sugar and some raisins (but I tried one with chocolate chips). Then cook quickly in the oven to gratin and here they are.

View attachment 22192
Looks lovely! Might it work if sprinkled with a little coffee powder? :wink:

Cajun eggs Benedict. Homemade chaurice sausage gravy over sweet cornbread, topped with fried eggs, with a side of a quick salsa based on Rotel tomatoes. I even made the ultimate sacrifice of not cooking my egg as much as I normally would so @morning glory could have her egg bleed. Lol!

Thank you. Egg bleed appreciated! @Yorky likes egg-bleeds too.

I love the idea of Cajun Eggs Benedict.

Last edited:
Brussels sprouts carbonara from Skinnytaste.com. It's spaghetti carbonara with brussels sprouts and bacon instead of pancetta.

This was earlier in the week. Thursday or Friday iirc.

DSC_3767.JPG

I marinated some vegan mince in a shop bought lime and chilli marinade. It tasted foul uncooked (marinade) and would have only served 2 of us for one night, so it was added to. I fried up an onion, added in the mince and marinade and fried up that. Added to that were some frozen peas and a handful of chopped snowpeas that needed eating. Then I added a tin of crushed tomatoes before adding a tablespoon of tamarind pureé to the mix . Rice and broccolini complete the meal. It was quite a spicy dish but both of us are fine with that. Hubby had been away for a few nights, and comments that it was nice to be home to proper food . I'll take that as a compliment!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom