What did you cook, eat or drink today (February 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm reasonably new to avos, like first experience was about 15 years ago with seafood, I enjoyed it, my kids all love it as well, but wife hates it, so we rarely have it here. Grandys love it as well so it is slowly appearing in the fridge now.
So if I want to prepare something a few hours away, will the avo keep or go brown.? Or a spray with lemon juice or similar. I havnt really cooked with it.

Russ

I'm reasonably new to avos, like first experience was about 15 years ago with seafood, I enjoyed it, my kids all love it as well, but wife hates it, so we rarely have it here. Grandys love it as well so it is slowly appearing in the fridge now.
So if I want to prepare something a few hours away, will the avo keep or go brown.? Or a spray with lemon juice or similar. I havnt really cooked with it.

Russ

Once cut avocados need lemon juice or they go brown - as you say. Just sprinkle with lemon juice and turn to coat. They will keep quite well for at least a day like that - maybe longer, but I haven't tried.

Thanks, as I say I'm new to avos.

Russ
We often use avocado in our meals but will usually only have a quarter of one each, so will have half an avocado left over. We leave the seed in it, and put it into a sealed small airtight container . Like that it will last for days in the fridge. We may need just to trim it a touch a few days later. Some people remove the stone and place it face down on a plate in the fridge. Apparently that works well as well.

Thank you! Here's my recipe:

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/kimchi-with-red-cabbage-and-brussels-sprouts.10461/

One important thing I've changed is the last step, where I say to keep it out overnight, and to finish within a week. Now, I keep it out for at least a week before it goes into the refrigerator. I want to see bubbling (fermentation) before I put it away. And, I most certainly don't finish it within a week: each jar will last at least a month, and will still preserve for longer than that.

Mind you, this is what it looks like now, right after bottling. the colors will start to bleed together somewhat over time.
Thank you. That is very helpful info.

Last night I attended a 21st for one of my cousins boys. She married into a Maori family so the meal was a traditional hungi.

I will grab my phone and insert some pics of the buffet.

Edit

4C2FE2A5-0F68-4302-811F-1022D960D0AB.jpeg
B02E2ED9-8491-4F01-9475-C71345829509.jpeg

Lamb
Pork
Chicken
Cabbage with pork
Potato
Tarp
Sweet potato
Pumpkin
Pilaf type rice dish

All cooked in a massive fire pit in huge purpose made steel crates lined with leaves served family style on a buffet with fresh dressed salad greens

Last edited:
Last night I attended a 21st for one of my cousins boys. She married into a Maori family so the meal was a traditional hungi.

I will grab my phone and insert some pics of the buffet.

Edit

View attachment 22345 View attachment 22346

Lamb
Pork
Chicken
Cabbage with pork
Potato
Tarp
Sweet potato
Pumpkin
Pilaf type rice dish

All cooked in a massive fire pit in huge purpose made steel crates lined with leaves served family style on a buffet with fresh dressed salad greens

Awesome you got to try hangi, it has a taste all of its own eh? I do a honky hangi in a 44 gallon drum. It's always beautiful. The cabbage is the best ever, lamb melts in the mouth. I'm due to do another one soon. I normally do mine once a year or maybe 18 months.? I put 2 legs of lamb a piece of pork and 3 chickens. It normally feeds 30 of my closest family and friends.

Russ

It is delicious @rascal I’ve eaten it many times but it was my daughters first experience of it.

The best one ever was for another cousins wedding. It was totally unexpected. They got married very young and their reception was in the back yard of their rental. The islanders that lived in the house behind them & with whom they’d made friends did a pork, cabbage & root veg hungi as a wedding gift. It was a very special experience for my Anglo family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom