What did you cook, eat or drink today (November 2018)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Banana crisps.

banana crisps s.jpg

After many months of unsuccessfully searching for a Yorkshire pudding (bun) tin to fit in the halogen oven, I bought four Teflon coated ramekins. Being still wary of the halogen and how hot it actually gets, I consulted Google and was advised:

Heat the oil for 7 minutes at 250 degC. Add the batter and cook for 10 minutes at 250 degC. Reduce the heat to 200 degC and cook for a further 20 minutes then a further 5 minutes at 150 degC. No! Mine were getting close to burning after 10 minutes of the second stage. Anyway, although they were edible with plenty of gravy, they were nowhere near the standards of my mum's or my wife's (both born in Yorkshire).

I believe that the problem was the quantity of batter that I put in each ramekin. My mum used to put in about 1 tablespoon but the ramekins were much larger than the bun tins that my mum used. Next time I shall reduce the quantity a little.

Those are 120mm diameter overall and 4 on the lower tray just fit in the halogen.

Last edited:
I believe that the problem was the quantity of batter that I put in each ramekin. My mum used to put in about 1 tablespoon but the ramekins were much larger than the bun tins that my mum used. Next time I shall reduce the quantity a little.

Those are 120mm diameter overall and 4 on the lower tray just fit in the halogen.

Did you heat the fat up in the tins beforehand?

I like your ramekins. The only ramekins I see here are Crockery. Yours would be great for a little pot pies like chicken, Seafood or beef Etc.

Mg, I can't cook bread, and mussels, have you tried with coconut cream added. Not a lot, just enough for the flavour. I'm not big on mussels, but I do cook it for friends.

Russ

have you tried with coconut cream added.

I expect its good if you like it - but I really don't like coconut cream in anything. I've come across mussels cooked with regular cream in restaurants but much prefer a straight wine sauce with onion, herbs & garlic as the basic sauce - with chilli added sometimes.

Cooking mussels is possibly one of the simplest things to cook! Believe me, anyone could do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom