What did you cook/eat today (February 2018)?

I put my 14yo son in charge of recipe selection tonight, giving him beef mince as a starting point.

View attachment 13830

He chose a recipe for kofta, a mint yogurt sauce & rice. I insisted on the tomato & onion raita.

Was very yummy.

I am very impressed that your boy can cook like this! It looks delicious.

Husband managed to get gluten poisoned last night in our own home. We are a gluten free house and our friends usually buy gluten free jaffa cakes when they visit. Not this time! But we did not check. So I have made chicken broth with carrot, leek, turmeric, ginger, chilli, rocket, rice noodles. He is feeling better by time after contamination and with soup. His condition us an allergy not a digestive system problem so spices work well.

Oh dear. Hope he feels better soon. What happens - does it make him feel sick?

Pancakes from yesterday:

fullsizeoutput_2c08.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2c0e.jpeg

International Burger Week continues with the Aztec Burger, a brisket & chuck patty with guacamole, my interpretation of @CraigC's Xni Pec Salsa, picked green Anaheim pepper, and pickled red onions.

IMG_1165.JPG

To recap, I've had The Greek Burger on Monday, The English Breakfast Burger on Tuesday, and now the Aztec Burger. Thoughts of gastronomic distress ending International Burger Week early have been put to rest after today's offering: if this didn't do me in, then nothing will. Tomorrow, we're off to Asia!

Thank you @morning glory and @Francesca The gluten allergy causes swelling that makes the pain worse for his trigeminal neuralgia / tempero mandibular jaw syndrome. In other words a lot of pain down one side of his face all the way from jaw to eye so makes him unable to function as normal. No work. Cancelled evening plans. This used to be quite usual for us but does not happen so often since we found the allergy link (not just food).

[QUOTE="Frizz1974]
It was so humid hot last night the butter chicken I had made the day before just sat in its dish in the fridge & we all had cheese & fruit at 10pm. [/QUOTE]

Have you ever tried to freeze "butter chicken"? I've tried twice; first with the butter included and second before the butter was added. Neither was a success.

International Burger Week continues with the Aztec Burger, a brisket & chuck patty with guacamole, my interpretation of @CraigC's Xni Pec Salsa, picked green Anaheim pepper, and pickled red onions.

View attachment 13846

To recap, I've had The Greek Burger on Monday, The English Breakfast Burger on Tuesday, and now the Aztec Burger. Thoughts of gastronomic distress ending International Burger Week early have been put to rest after today's offering: if this didn't do me in, then nothing will. Tomorrow, we're off to Asia!

If you saw the recipe I posted for meatball Bahn Mi, I've made sliders with the meatball mixture.
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/meatball-bahn-mi.11631/

I am very impressed that your boy can cook like this! It looks delicious.

That’s the first meal he’s cooked in a while.

Both of my kids have always had to listen to me (and Jamie Oliver) yap on about food.

They’ve helped shop for food, grow veggies, menu plan, peel, chop, mix in the kitchen.

They have both taken every opportunity to study cookery at school too.

I’m finally in a full time job again, my partner isn’t much of a cook and do the kids are taking turns. My 17 daughter is a pretty good cook. She needs to work on her timings and learn to set timers.

@Yorky

Wow that steak looks amazing.

Tonight my daughter cooked potato & sweet potato wedges, marinated & panfried chicken thigh fillets & served with a delicious “everything but the kitchen sink” chopped salad.

She’s very fond of za'atar chicken so that is what was on the chicken.

If you saw the recipe I posted for meatball Bahn Mi, I've made sliders with the meatball mixture.
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/meatball-bahn-mi.11631/
Believe it or not, I was already planning for International Burger Week to take me to Vietnam for a Banh Mi Burger:
IMG_1167.JPG

That's daikon radish kimchi, an overly complex spicy mayo, and a lot of cilantro on top. The mayo was built with habanero jelly for heat + some sriracha mostly for color, as well as fish sauce, ginger, lime juice, rice vinegar, and the one thing I can't do without in a spicy mayo: a few drops of toasted sesame oil. I started doing this years ago as a sauce for sushi, and now I can't do without it.

I'm reminded that this is absolutely the wrong bun for this burger. The kimchi and the mayo make for a very messy sandwich, and it really need a baguette to stand up to all that. But, International Burger Week was never about a fully composed sandwich (otherwise I would have used lamb for my Greek Burger). Really, it's more about how many different ways I can dress up a brisket and chuck patty with the things I have on hand. This is a very tasty burger, but also an extremely messy one.

Back
Top Bottom