What did you cook/eat today (February 2018)?

I had a packet of ladyfingers, some strawberry and ricotta..I have thought to make one of our fave desserts: strawberry tiramisù. Usually I plunge ladyfingers in pear or strawberry juice but, still having pomegranate juice, I've make this experiment..it doesn't disappointed me.
IMG-20180212-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20180212-WA0008.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a packet of ladyfingers, some strawberry and ricotta..I have thought to make one of our fave desserts: strawberry tiramisù. Usually I plunge ladyfingers in pear or strawberry juice but, still having pomegranate juice, I've make this experiment..it doesn't disappointed me.
View attachment 13771

View attachment 13772

Beautiful - I think the pomegranate juice would add a nice sharpness to the flavour.

Made prime rib, yorkshires, gratin savoyard & broccoli last night.
Unfortunately my thermometer died 1/2 way thru & guess-timated cooking time.
Was quite raw (& I love blue beef)..reheated it, but kinda lost it's "ooh-ahh".
Sliced it thinly for French dips & French fries tonight..leftover/recovery mode ;-)

Hello @Masticator what is savoyard?

This looks great - lovely photo.
Thank you.

OH is not big on salad & found the subtle flavour & soft texture of poached chicken not to his liking.

Unfortunately, there’s another chicken to eat today. I’m going to julienne carrot, shave red cabbage, finely slice spring onion & red chilli. Shred the chook and mix it all with some sort of dressing. Top it with seeds or nuts.

Might go Thai?

Hopefully it will be pretty enough for a photo.

Hello @Masticator what is savoyard?
Hi MypinchofItaly.
Gratin savoyard (at least my version) is essentially scalloped potatoes, but with beef stock.
Butter a glass/ceramic baking dish, crush one clove of garlic & spread it around the butter.
Layer thinly sliced peeled potatoes with a bit of grated Swiss cheese, dash black pepper & tiny specks of butter & repeat.
Finally top with more Swiss & specks of butter & add boiling beef stock to ~ 1/2 depth of the potato layer, microwave entire dish ~2 minutes (to pre-heat) & bake ~340-350F until top is browned ~30-50 minutes.

Wow. This achieves the impressive feat of being decadent while also appearing to be light. It's also a reminder that we don't have nearly enough desserts on this thread. :okay:

Wow. This achieves the impressive feat of being decadent while also appearing to be light. It's also a reminder that we don't have nearly enough desserts on this thread. :okay:

thank you @The Late Night Gourmet ...honestly I prefer ricotta instead of mascarpone, too light and few calories. I eat mascarpone only if someone else makes tiramisù with it or during Xmas to fill pandoro.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom