What did you cook/eat today (June 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here you go ...Aberdeen Angus minced beef..Ayrshire new potatoes and processed peas
P1000694.JPG

Personally, I think I'm leaning more toward the "horribly". Chicken nuggets on a Reuben? WHY??? I'm guessing this is some sort of Michigan thing...
If you were able to follow the questionable decision making in my post, you'll see that it's less about regional cooking and more about a descent into madness. Today, I had a reuben again, but this time without the chicken, and with more sensibly-cut bread. I also decided to make this to give me a vague idea that I was having something healthy for lunch:
IMG_0796.JPG

I considered making broccoli soup (again), but decided I didn't want to go to the trouble. So, I made Breaded Baked Broccoli Bites <-- follow this link to the recipe section if you want to see how I made them. I also made a light buttermilk ranch dressing to go with it, but I'm not totally happy with the formulation of that recipe, so I'm not going to post it yet.

Last edited:
Tonight will be something with ground beef patties. Hopefully no glass in feet. We had a hailstorm last night. Broke a window and threw glass everywhere.

Oh my, those all look sooo delicious. I'm really feeling the lack of potatoes as we labour our way through South Beach - no carbs!! However, there are many very interesting recipes and last nights dinner was chicken stuffed with soft goats cheese and arugula. I cheated a bit and wrapped the chicken in bacon then baked in the over. The accompanying salad was crimini and shiitake mushrooms with pecans layered onto greens. It's about 95% compliant on the South Beach Phase 1 - bacon is the big no-no in this phase.

I decided to wrap the chicken as hubby had bbq'd a batch of chicken on the weekend and was hopeful the bacon would prevent the chicken from being too dry.

Tonight will be something with ground beef patties. Hopefully no glass in feet. We had a hailstorm last night. Broke a window and threw glass everywhere.
I did those for breakfast. Wife was not impressed. It was a 'use it up' breakfast - oddments out of the fridge that needed using up - two sausages from last weekend, two beef burgers not used in last BBQ, half a can of beans left over from experimenting with mustard (thank you) and a poached egg.

Those Cuban heels should protect you from the glass :D

Oh my, those all look sooo delicious. I'm really feeling the lack of potatoes as we labour our way through South Beach - no carbs!! However, there are many very interesting recipes and last nights dinner was chicken stuffed with soft goats cheese and arugula. I cheated a bit and wrapped the chicken in bacon then baked in the over. The accompanying salad was crimini and shiitake mushrooms with pecans layered onto greens. It's about 95% compliant on the South Beach Phase 1 - bacon is the big no-no in this phase.

I decided to wrap the chicken as hubby had bbq'd a batch of chicken on the weekend and was hopeful the bacon would prevent the chicken from being too dry.
Well that sounds rather good. But the diet would be hopeless for me. I prefer carbs to protein. If you like you could post a thread abut the South Beach diet. Just start a new thread in Free From and Special Diets. I'd be interested to hear about it.

So you are a processed peas fan? So am I. And @Yorky is a mushy pea expert! Have you tried making your own from dried peas?
Hello i have made my own in the past but did not intend to have peas today and never steeped any dried ones i have bicarbonate of soda in the cupboard so i popped down to Lidl and got a tin of their peas ..i hope this makes sense

Hello i have made my own in the past but did not intend to have peas today and never steeped any dried ones i have bicarbonate of soda in the cupboard so i popped down to Lidl and got a tin of their peas ..i hope this makes sense
Of course! In my case I pop down to Aldi which is helpfully positioned at the end of my road. :)

We have a Lidl and Aldi here and Aldi is going to relocate because everyone seems to prefer Lidl :)
We have Lidl too - its just that Aldi is closer to where I live. I probably prefer Lidl on balance. There isn't a lot in the price difference but I think Lidl has more choice. Do you find that?

To be honest- me and a lot of my friends think that Lidl vegetables and meat is a lot better and have a bigger selection than Aldi as i said in the earlier post Aldi is going to relocate somewhere that does not have any competition and i probably would agree with you that there is not much different in the pricing ...But both of these stores have certainly took lots of custom off the big boys ie Tesco's Morrison's Sainsburys and Asda ...competition is good for the customers :okay:

We have Lidl too - its just that Aldi is closer to where I live. I probably prefer Lidl on balance. There isn't a lot in the price difference but I think Lidl has more choice. Do you find that?
Our police station closed several years ago and was told with residential development potential. Lidl bought it and demolished it, but haven't managed to get planning permission yet for their new store :( The nearest Lidl is too far away for me to get to easily even though it has a massive car park, and Aldi is a pain. Haven't been in Lidl for a couple of years now, and the last time I went into Aldi was to buy a deep fat fryer they had on offer.

Thursday night's dinner was bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes and onions, with a couple of cloves of garlic and a little basil, done in the oven, and chips. I might have overdone the chips slightly, but I was hungry after sleeping what seemed like forever after taking two greyhounds for a walk this morning :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom