What did you cook/eat today (March 2018)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As it's a holiday weekend, smoked salmon and scrambled eggs.

20180331_081617.jpg

After the bowl of soup yesterday, I thought I'd cook something a little more substantial.

Beef fillet with roast spuds, peas and balsamic salad (with English mustard of course).

beef steak 3 s.jpg

plated 3 s.jpg

Last edited:
The new sizzle plate! How did it work?

It doesn't actually "work". I fry the steak in the wok (90 seconds each side) then transfer it to the sizzler plate for application of the blowlamp, then let it rest until I add the accompaniments. It hardly gets hot. Just for show really.

It doesn't actually "work". I fry the steak in the wok (90 seconds each side) then transfer it to the sizzler plate for application of the blowlamp, then let it rest until I add the accompaniments. It hardly gets hot. Just for show really.
:ohmy: Why doesn't it work? I've yet to try mine... I got as far as seasoning it.

:ohmy: Why doesn't it work? I've yet to try mine... I got as far as seasoning it.
My baking stone can be used on the hob. It's reversible, and one side is a griddle. It's supposed to be suitable for all types of hob, but I'm a bit hesitant about using it on my ceramic hob - it's rather heavy. Works wonders in the oven, however.

Good Friday was a weird day. I had my usual breakfast of muesli and yoghurt, and two boiled eggs with toast for lunch, and I did actually get round to making some hot cross buns. I never actually got any dinner, having spent a large part of the evening down the vet's with an injured greyhound (he decided to collide with a hardwood door at about 40 mph), so in the end all I had to eat was a plate of chips.

It's not that it doesn't "work" it's just the way I use it. Yes I could put it on the gas and fry the steak on it but my wife would have a fit (no way of adding the splash guard). Then I would need to carry the sizzler plate outside (a disaster waiting to happen) in order to inflict upon it the blowlamp (I cannot be trusted to use a blowlamp indoors). And by the time the steak had rested, the plate would have cooled anyway.

As I say, it's purely used for presentation.

I didn't know that you had bought one.

The first time that I saw one being used was in a foodcourt in Bangsar (a suburb of Kuala Lumpur). The prawns and vegetables were stir fried in an enormous wok and then transferred to the pre-heated plate to serve. Looked great but I cannot say it made any difference to the taste of the food.

It's not that it doesn't "work" it's just the way I use it. Yes I could put it on the gas and fry the steak on it but my wife would have a fit (no way of adding the splash guard). Then I would need to carry the sizzler plate outside (a disaster waiting to happen) in order to inflict upon it the blowlamp (I cannot be trusted to use a blowlamp indoors). And by the time the steak had rested, the plate would have cooled anyway.

As I say, it's purely used for presentation.

I didn't know that you had bought one.

I got one for Christmas from my daughter - its in the shape of a chilli.

Yours is a good presentation plate. Matt black with a minimal rim. :okay:

Re resting the steak I would have thought it would be ideal as it would keep it warm if you had cooked it on the sizzle plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom