What did you cook/eat today (May 2018)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. Silly nickname, but they're delicious. They're also known as Daddy's Special Burgers in my house since my son was very little.

I've tried them with a lot of cheeses, but we like Boursin the best.

Chicken with roasted coriander in a coconut curry sauce (aka dakshini murgh) from Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cooking book. It was really good, although a tad bit spicy for me, but Craig loved it. I hear him going back for seconds as I am typing this.

2018-05-30 17.52.24.jpg

I've never used Boursin in a cooked dish - does it go runny?

It does eventually, but we like our burgers medium rare to medium at most so they usually don't cook long enough. Tonight's was slightly melted.
Boursin is soft and creamy by itself, so it works.

very true. In this household and the same with my in-laws you don't start eating until everyone is at the table either. If someone is in the house and hasn't come to the table, you wait. Everyone knows what time the meal is served and a call will be made that food is on the table. Not eating at the table is not an option and you don't keep anyone waiting especially my mother-in-law. If you are not going to be at the table or worse still home in time for your evening meal, excuses need to have been made in advance! Then a serving will be plated for you and either kept warm or put aside depending on how late you are going to be. And you will eat what you are given in that case.

Here, food is generally plated up in the kitchen and the meal carried to the dining room table. You eat what you are served.

It's the same in my daughter's house. Times are not flexible. She finishes work at four and is usually home by 4.15 (she is a teacher). Dinner is at 6 p.m. sharp. The only person who is allowed to have dinner late is her husband, who is a self-employed builder and sometimes takes advantage of the light summer evenings to finish a job. Even then, he has to tell her in plenty of time.

Tonight's dinner was broccoli, romano pepper, leek, onion, garlic, mushrooms, and a handful of home-grown hazelnuts in a creamy mustard sauce. The sauce was a little darker than I had anticipated because it was made using the butter that the mushrooms, leek, onion and garlic had been fried in, as well as using the water that the broccoli was cooked in. No recipe, and no waste :D

broccoli, pepper, leek, mushroom, nuts in mustard sauce.jpg

Same rules about eating together here as well. We say grace before dinner, so no one is supposed to start before then anyway.

Actually, on a few occasions over the years we were eating out somewhere and the restaurant forgot to make my wife's food, or screwed up the order or something, but still brought out mine (and in more recent years) my son's plates. We patiently waited until her plate was brought out each time, then started eating together. The waitstaff had mixed reactions about that. Some apologized over and over as they saw us resisting the urge to dig in; other's got snotty to us as if we were causing them stress for the screw up.

But I know it's not fun to be hungry and watch others eat right in front of you, so you do what you just gotta do and wait.

Craig and I walked out of a restaurant once when they pulled that. We had been waiting for food for nearly an hour and he told them if food wasn't on the table in the next 10 minutes we were leaving. They brought his food, but not mine. We left money for our drinks and got up and left.

Last edited:
Tonight's dinner was broccoli, romano pepper, leek, onion, garlic, mushrooms, and a handful of home-grown hazelnuts in a creamy mustard sauce. The sauce was a little darker than I had anticipated because it was made using the butter that the mushrooms, leek, onion and garlic had been fried in, as well as using the water that the broccoli was cooked in. No recipe, and no waste :D

View attachment 16444

I think that sauce looks great - good idea to use the butter that the mushrooms etc. cooked in.

I've never used Boursin in a cooked dish - does it go runny?
I know a stunningly simple but fantastic recipe for courgette soup that uses boursin for the creaminess and herbs. We did one however (when boursin first started doing a second flavour) mix it up with the peppercorn boursin. Needless to say we never made that mistake again.

It does eventually, but we like our burgers medium rare to medium at most so they usually don't cook long enough. Tonight's was slightly melted.
Boursin is soft and creamy by itself, so it works.
I imagine it's necessary to do something to keep a lean burger like this from getting dry. I learned my lesson a while ago in trying to be overly clever by grinding my own sirloin after trimming away all the fat. If it even holds together, it's so dry that I might as well have thrown is straight into the trash. But, something like this takes care of that (I usually incorporate hot peppers and mushrooms, which go nicely with beef).

I imagine it's necessary to do something to keep a lean burger like this from getting dry. I learned my lesson a while ago in trying to be overly clever by grinding my own sirloin after trimming away all the fat. If it even holds together, it's so dry that I might as well have thrown is straight into the trash. But, something like this takes care of that (I usually incorporate hot peppers and mushrooms, which go nicely with beef).

Hah, we did that the first time we made sausage, trimmed nearly all the fat off. Nasty, dry, tasteless stuff. Learned our lesson. Fat is necessary in some things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom