What did you cook/eat today (May 2018)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm considering trying a "jungle curry". It's a Northern Thailand dish and doesn't contain coconut milk/cream (they don't have many coconuts up there). Just a thought.

Has anyone here cooked one?

If I remember correctly it’s quite spicy with green chillies and green peppercorns & I’m pretty sure I used pork.

I have a “bible” - Charmaine Solomon is THE authority on all curry styles. Is she known outside Australia?

Last edited:
No one should serve themselves until everyone is seated anyway.

What happened to manners?
very true. In this household and the same with my in-laws you don't start eating until everyone is at the table either. If someone is in the house and hasn't come to the table, you wait. Everyone knows what time the meal is served and a call will be made that food is on the table. Not eating at the table is not an option and you don't keep anyone waiting especially my mother-in-law. If you are not going to be at the table or worse still home in time for your evening meal, excuses need to have been made in advance! Then a serving will be plated for you and either kept warm or put aside depending on how late you are going to be. And you will eat what you are given in that case.

Here, food is generally plated up in the kitchen and the meal carried to the dining room table. You eat what you are served. If you want a smaller portion, its rather hard because no matter what I tell my OH, he has this habit of having forgotten by the next day or turns around and tells you that you complained you were hungry during the night, so has given you more so you won't be.... dieting is hard with 'helpfulness' like that!

Corn, bacon, gruyere cheese souffle with a spinach salad wirh steamed baby potatoes dressed with a hot bacon, sliced red onion, balsamic dressing. I thought the dish I had was a 1.5 quart dish for the souffle, but it turned out the smallest I had was 2 quarts so it didn't rise above the top of the dish, just made it to the top

2018-05-29 18.29.52.jpg

2018-05-29 18.29.21.jpg

I grilled then bbq sauced some chicken legs today after spending 2 hours cleaning out the mess the squirrels made in it over the winter, then adjusting the venturis and other parts.

This'll be the grill's last summer as it's not worth buying the replacement parts for a 12 year old grill.

Legs!

0529181756a_HDR.jpg

My wife made a cold fusilli salad with grape tomatoes, baby carrots, spinach, and Italian salad dressing.

Last edited:
09F83486-1BBC-4031-98DA-C38FD3F4BBCE.jpeg

Tikka Masparagus Soup. Me and my bad puns, eh? Sometimes, experimentation in the kitchen leads to disaster. Other times, you can end up with something wonderful that you didn’t expect.

This started out as an asparagus soup. I decided to add some Indian seasonings to it rather than making it the way I usually do. That evolved into full-blown tikka masala seasoning, but it was still green, because it was still basically an asparagus soup. Then, I added tomatoes and yogurt, and this is what resulted.

Recipe added.

Last edited:
Chilli con carne AGAIN today. It's so easy when you have 5 or 6 portions in the freezer. Just buy a bread stick or defrost a roti.

Anyway, I am collecting ingredients for my "jungle curry" so that should make a change for the weekend. I have chicken, baby corn, bamboo and red curry paste; the rest will come from the market tomorrow evening.

11 S.jpg

View attachment 16432

Tikka Masparagus Soup. Me and my bad puns, eh? Sometimes, experimentation in the kitchen leads to disaster. Other times, you can end up with something wonderful that you didn’t expect.

This started out as an asparagus soup. I decided to add some Indian seasonings to it rather than making it the way I usually do. That evolved into full-blown tikka masala seasoning, but it was still green, because it was still basically an asparagus soup. Then, I added tomatoes and yogurt, and this is what resulted. Recipe to follow, since I’m definitely going to make this again.

It's most definitely original!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom