What did you cook/eat today (May 2018)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vegetable bean casserole with a herby dumpling

DSC_3136.JPG

I've never come across sweet potato salad before. What is in the dressing?

I'll post the recipe with the tweaks I'll make next time. We hadn't ever seen it either but were looking for something different to have with the chicken wings and came across it. It's a recipe from 1 of the Top Chef contestants that got pretty far and has had/does have a show on 1 of the cooking networks.

Marinated, then reverse seared tri-tip. Yummy! Sides were garlic mashed potatoes and country green beans.

The marinade is a 40+ year old recipe from my mother, onions sauteed in vege oil, then ketchup, yellow mustard, brown sugar, worchestershire, s and p, added and cooked together, cooled, then meat marinaded for at least 24 hours.

2018-05-28 16.45.37.jpg

Which brand of vegan sausages do you buy? I've found the best to be 'Fry's' but they are a bit expensive.
I've not tried fry's as they contain wheat which I can't have at home so this time I tried morrison's own brand as they don't contain wheat (however they contain soya so I have to be a little careful). I cooked the sausages separately so no wheat contamination. (One use bbq for gluten ptoducts).
BTW: The Morrison's burgers contain wheat.

If I remember correctly the sausages contain Palm Oil which some vegans avoid.

Looks delicious but I don't understand what this means!

You cook it low and slow on the grill until the meat is close to being done to the temp you want, then you remove it, crank the heat to super high, then sear the outside. Craig does this on the Big Green Egg since it's fairly easy to control the temp within a few degrees on the egg. For some reason, the meat always comes out really tender when cooked this way.

Oh, you have to use a fairly thick cut of meat for this to work correctly.
I just looked up tri-tip. That was the other bit I didn't understand. Its not a term used here - or if we do it must be called something else. I learn it is:

a triangular cut of beef from the bottom sirloin sub primal cut, consisting of the tensor fasciae latae muscle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom