What did you cook/eat today (May 2018)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just did a UK search... I can buy it on-line and I guess if I had a good butcher I could ask for it. Here is how one on-line supplier describes it:

An old fashioned cut that was usually wasted, the tritip is now valued for it's great marbling and flavour. Versatile to cook, you can BBQ as steaks, or braise slowly
https://www.turnerandgeorge.co.uk/tri-tip.html

And again:
Inspired by American traditions of butchery, the Tri Tip is taken from the sirloin, and though smaller than other sirloin cuts, promises the characteristic marbling and natural succulence of our grass fed beef. Our Tri Tips are exclusively dry age matured for the most tender finish possible, and as such are ideal for roasting the British way, served with all the trimmings.

Looks delicious, med.

Tri-tip is a cut more well known in the south and west. It's very hard to find here in a supermarket, but if you know a good butcher they may cut it for you.

I stumbled upon the reverse sear method on a rainy camping trip years ago. It was really difficult to get a good fire going so I didn't have a lot of coals over which to cook, and everyone was hungry. I tried to cook a couple of big, thick top round steaks low and slow at first, then I took it off to get the almost extinguished fire out, got the fire crankin, and finished the steaks. Some of the best ones I'd ever cooked.

I learned later about the technique, but only use it when I have the time free to do it all properly. Otherwise, steaks are hot and fast with 3 flips and 2 turns.

No recipe night tonight! I had potatoes and shallots lightly sautéed with turmeric, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, crushed chilli, garlic, chopped carrot tops and black pepper, and added shredded spring greens and strips of red pepper for the last few minutes of cooking. Afters was a lovely juicy orange.

sauteed veg.jpg

No recipe night tonight! I had potatoes and shallots lightly sautéed with turmeric, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, crushed chilli, garlic, chopped carrot tops and black pepper, and added shredded spring greens and strips of red pepper for the last few minutes of cooking. Afters was a lovely juicy orange.

View attachment 16404

Totally vegan I think? And once again very colourful.

Didn't know that! Why? I may not wish to bring this issue up with my son...:)
Its not just vegans that avoid it. Its an ethical thing. Large areas of rainforest are being cleared to grown the palm for palm oil and once cleared it never returns.
The thing is, it doesn't need to be cleared. the palm can be grown as a secondary crop to rainforest, grown in its canopy (if I recall correctly that is). The same as coffee and cocoa.
And a lot of it is Malaysia and Indonesia I think. It is not only about rainforest deforestation, but also depriving endangered wildlife of their habitat, food and shelter, forcing of ethnic minorities off their land (including alleged slavery) and so on. So vegans tend to be more aware of it that other parts of society.

However a some of stuff with palm oil in it does now have another 'qualification' to add to their label along the lines of rainforest friendly only I can't remember what it is called....

I wasn't hungry tonight, but I made dinner for the wife and boy.

I steamed some frozen shrimp shu mai, and made a big bowl of kama age udon noodles with seaweed and ginger/garlic dipping sauce (for the udon). Sorry, no pic of the dipping sauce. I was lucky enough to snap any pics at all before getting slapped.

0528181735d_HDR.jpg
0528181735c_HDR.jpg

Edited.

SSNSO, you should create a thread about food photography and hungry folks.

Last edited:
With tri-tip, if you don't cut it very thin, across the grain on a bias it will be as tough as shoe leather.

Main course was the same as part night, only slightly less because it was served with a Cheezy Leek sausage (vegan) for some extra protein in the dish. I didn't want eggs because I had those for lunch.

But dessert was coconut yoghurt with passionfruit. We had 4 passionfruit, 2 each, bought at the same time from the same place. 2 were one colour (green inside) and 2 were another (orange). Curiously I didn't think they were as tasty add the odd jobs ones I usually pick up at Woollies and I had to pay twice as much for these ones as the ones from Woollies. I like getting the odd jobs fruit and veg because it shows retailers people will purchase fruit and veg that isn't "perfect" in their eyes.

DSC_3137.JPG

I'm considering trying a "jungle curry". It's a Northern Thailand dish and doesn't contain coconut milk/cream (they don't have many coconuts up there). Just a thought.

Has anyone here cooked one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom