What did you cook/eat today (November 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As kids we used to get the cream from the top of milk for our weet bix. I loved it. No such thing now, just milk. Do you still get it, the cream on top?

Russ
Too right I do - good, old-fashioned organic whole milk delivered by the milkman, but it has a metallic blue foil top on the bottle these days instead of a silver one. I get some from the farm too. None of this homogenised or treated rubbish for me :)

Spiced roasted pork loin with a honey, dijon, tamari, garlic glaze, with roasted potatoes and a Starkrimson pear stuffed with pear flesh, blue cheese and chopped walnuts, then baked.

As kids we used to get the cream from the top of milk for our weet bix. I loved it. No such thing now, just milk. Do you still get it, the cream on top?

Russ

Not here. I'm still of the opinion that our milk is reconstituted. I remember it was once labelled "Made from real milk" but now that description has been removed. We have little, if any, rules to regulate trade descriptions.

Too right I do - good, old-fashioned organic whole milk delivered by the milkman, but it has a metallic blue foil top on the bottle these days instead of a silver one. I get some from the farm too. None of this homogenised or treated rubbish for me :)

Brilliant , I used to race to get the top off 2 or 3 bottles of milk. I have no idea what they do to milk now?

Russ

Not here. I'm still of the opinion that our milk is reconstituted. I remember it was once labelled "Made from real milk" but now that description has been removed. We have little, if any, rules to regulate trade descriptions.

I read somewhere milk is set to a formula so it's the same year around? Here we get all types, prolly about 10 types, as a kid there was only 1 choice. We call it bluetop. Green top is non fat.

Russ

Superb crust - what is your secret?
Seriously, I have no secret on this one, it didn't even cold-ferment in the fridge overnight. I threw it together at 4:30PM, and by 6:30PM, was eating pizza.

I followed Cuisinart's basic food processor recipe, which is to proof once sachet of ADY in 2/3 cup warm water and 1 tsp granulated sugar added, then while that's getting going, pulse 1-2/3 cup AP or bread flour (I used bread flour), 1 tsp oil, and 3/4 tsp salt together in a food processor a few times. After that, turn the machine on and slowly pour the yeast mixture into the flour, then process 30 seconds longer after it comes together. Into an oiled bowl for about 45 minutes, then shape, top, and bake.

If there were any "secrets" for this one - preheat the oven as high as it'll go (for me, that's 525F), preferably for an hour after it reaches temp, and with a baking stone/steel in the oven. For that pizza, it was an 8-minute bake.

I read somewhere milk is set to a formula so it's the same year around? Here we get all types, prolly about 10 types, as a kid there was only 1 choice. We call it bluetop. Green top is non fat.

Russ
The milk I get is from grass-fed cows. In winter they are fed on silage, and there is a difference in the taste of the milk. I've noticed that the milk from different dairy farms (particularly in different areas) can taste slightly different too. The higher the cream content the better IMO.

Organic whole milks and skimmed milks from these dairies is unhomogenised, semi-skimmed is homogenised, but it is all pasteurised. In the UK they are not allowed to sell unpasteurised milk except at the farm gate.

I can't tolerate homogenised milk, but the odd tea or coffee with it when I'm out doesn't make too much difference. However, having had breast cancer, I am not allowed to have UHT or some other processed milks at all.

The milk I get is from grass-fed cows. In winter they are fed on silage, and there is a difference in the taste of the milk. I've noticed that the milk from different dairy farms (particularly in different areas) can taste slightly different too. The higher the cream content the better IMO.

Organic whole milks and skimmed milks from these dairies is unhomogenised, semi-skimmed is homogenised, but it is all pasteurised. In the UK they are not allowed to sell unpasteurised milk except at the farm gate.

I can't tolerate homogenised milk, but the odd tea or coffee with it when I'm out doesn't make too much difference. However, having had breast cancer, I am not allowed to have UHT or some other processed milks at all.

Sorry to hear you had breast cancer, my late mum had one removed so I know what it entails. What you are saying about different areas tasting different, I believe that's why milk here is all pooled and a certain standard is given to everybody, nz is a massive dairy supplier around the world. But oh for the old days eh?? You are very lucky you still get creamy milk.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom