What did you cook/eat today (September 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had two boiled eggs and some freshly made bread for breakfast on Thursday. Then absolutely nothing until very late at night, when I skinned one of the sausages I had actually cooked for the mutt, chopped it up very finely, and washed it down with some lukewarm tea. I also had some home made yoghurt. Friday was equally food-less until last night, when I had some finely chopped broccoli, with onion, tomatoes and mushrooms (all sliced paper thin), and a very runny cheese sauce. Very milky muesli and yoghurt this morning with two mugs of milky lukewarm coffee. I am absolutely starving :ohmy:

Very nice...particularly the form on the bread. I seem to recall that your son's announcement (that he had turned vegan) wasn't something you were particularly happy about at first, but I can see from your recipes that you seem to have really taken to it. With the variety and the flavors you bring, I can almost see enjoying a vegan diet.

Maybe for a day or two. :whistling:

Yes - its surprising. I'm almost developing vegan recipes now without having to think. The two ingredients I miss using most are eggs and cheese. There really isn't much of an alternative t eggs although vegan mayo can be made from 'bean water' (the water from a tin of beans). Vegan cheese is OK but very very mild and doesn't really add the bite needed. Nutritional yeast is a useful ingredient as it tastes rather cheese like. Aside from that if one looks to Indian food in particular (but also Asian) there are numerous vegan recipes. But I am also cooking with meat sometimes (Boeuf Bourguignon for example) and today I'm posting up Lancashire Hotpot.

I don't suppose that even with the absence of the steak this could be considered vegan.

Splashing out again...

Fillet of beef (slightly towards medium rare - and I have no excuse because I cooked it myself), stuffed jacket potatoes and cabbage with plain white sauce (and mustard, of course).

september 1 s.jpg

september 4 s.jpg

I don't suppose that even with the absence of the steak this could be considered vegan.

Splashing out again...

Fillet of beef (slightly towards medium rare - and I have no excuse because I cooked it myself), stuffed jacket potatoes and cabbage with plain white sauce (and mustard, of course).

View attachment 10676

View attachment 10677

Without the steak I could make this vegan - use plant milk for the white sauce.

And for the cheese?

What the hell is "plant milk"?

Its all the rage here in the UK. You find it in every supermarket - almond milk, oat milk, soya milk etc. In fact it is really quite delicious. Not sweet (unless you by sweetened). I tend to use almond milk.

I'd use vegan cheese plus nutritional yeast for the cheese. Which bit has cheese in it?

I'd use vegan cheese plus nutritional yeast for the cheese. Which bit has cheese in it?

The potato stuffing.

If I was still in the UK, I don't believe plant milk would be all the rage with me.

How, or why, do folks become vegan anyway?

The potato stuffing.

If I was still in the UK, I don't believe plant milk would be all the rage with me.

How, or why, do folks become vegan anyway?

I don't think its just vegans that use plant milk. There are a lot of (faddy?) people who don't eat dairy. But the truth is, that plant milk (particularly the ones made from nuts) do taste delicious. I also use almond milk also because its much much lower in calories than cow's milk and I'm on a permanent diet! I don't know if you would like it or not - but in a sauce you really can't tell the difference.

The subject of a new thread perhaps? Simple answer - they don't like the idea of animals being used for food.

I may have posted this before. My daughter, at around 8 years old, was shown videos at school which explained where veal came from (we didn't actually eat veal at the time). She became vegetarian and was so for some 15 years. She visited us over here in Thailand a few years later and I asked her what food to stock for her, being vegetarian. She told me "Dad, I gave that up years ago. How can anyone go through life without eating bacon?"

My 17yo daughter made these today.

View attachment 10129

There is a dark chocolate ganache under the vanilla butter cream. The cupcakes are actually a brownie mix I think.

Most of them are reserved for Fathers Day. The plan for that hasn't gelled just yet but we are prepared.

@Frizz1974

I see a Pâtissier (Pastry Chef ) here .. Phenomenal ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom