What did you cook/eat today (September 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing as the dentist rescheduled my Wednesday afternoon appointment for Thursday morning :ohmy: it was comfort food night last night. Bangers and mash with carrots, peas, and lashings of onion gravy. The gravy was quite light coloured because I don't use gravy browning.
Sausage and mash with onion gravy.jpg

...I've never used figs as anything other than a snack...they're perfect as-is...
If you think they are perfect "as-is", I have a suggestion that you may (or may not) think is simply divine. Cut an "X" in the tip of the fig. Wrap with a slice of prosciutto. Stuff some goat cheese into the cut. Bake in a 400 degree F (200 C; Gas Mark 6) for 6-8 minutes, until the cheese softens and the prosciutto just starts to brown/crisp on the edges. Drizzle with a bit of honey and swoon.

I really don't know where to post this. My wife was given half a dozen at the market this evening because the stallholders wanted to pack up in anticipation of the impending rain. She doesn't know what they are (probably Khmer) even after eating three of them.

Any ideas?

IMG_0976 s.jpg

I have a few questions:
  1. Is this prepared or natural? It looks like a pancake with browned edges.
  2. Is it sweet, sour, bitter, savory, or bland? It looks like it could be made from honeydew melons or green tomatoes.
  3. Was it served hot or cold?

Prepared (and a little greasy so I would guess fried).

I didn't try any but my wife said it was sort of sweet (which is why I didn't).

It was cold when it arrived from the market, but most Thai food is eaten hot or cold - doesn't matter.

OK, I've tried a piece. It's like a fluffy pancake, but sweet (for me). No specific taste to determine the green additive.

My wife's mate has been around this evening (who is Khmer) and apparently they are flour and coconut milk pancakes and the green colour is imparted by pandan leaves. They call the product "lotus leaves".

Norra lorra people know that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom