What did you cook/eat today (September 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vegan vegetable stew with mushrooms, summer squash, swede, cavolo nero and chickpeas. Home made bread to go with it.

20170928_162542.jpg

20170928_180630.jpg

My wife's mate has been around this evening (who is Khmer) and apparently they are flour and coconut milk pancakes and the green colour is imparted by pandan leaves. They call the product "lotus leaves".

Norra lorra people know that!

Funnily enough this Australian knew exactly what I was looking at - because Pandan Pancakes are common in Sydney. We have a "Thai Town" on the edge of "China Town". In recent years pandan has been quite trendy across Sydney. Bubble tea & other beverages are often flavoured/coloured with this grassy herb slightly reminiscent of vanilla.

We don't have any of this 'sizing' in the UK for prawns - they are either jumbo or large or not specified really.

In Australia they are "King" for large or "school" for medium - though I've seen numbers like those in the chart on boxes of crumbed prawns.

16-20 is pretty big, too...I start to get nervous when I see the price of shrimp larger than the 21-25 range. Where did these fit on this scale?

shrimp-chart.jpg

They were Colossal. I butterflied them and flattened them out with my cleaver before frying in garlic/chili butter in hopes that they would be a bit easier to chew...they were, but nothing like the smaller ones...

@morning glory, those are delicious looking baguettes. I have some nice Kerrygold butter that I could bring over, along with a bit of cheese, perhaps a bottle of wine...

Crazy, mixed-up day on Thursday, so supper was unplanned/planned. Hubby's car needed gas and the best price nearby was from the station right in front of the store I needed to make a small shopping trip to. On the way over, I brainstormed a few ideas from what I had on hand and what I could pick up at the store. Ended up making Cuban sandwiches, using up some of the leftover pork tenderloin I roasted a few days ago. I also roasted some potato wedges seasoned with Morton's Season All and a little bit extra Aleppo pepper. Homemade dill pickles on the side. We have enough of everything for another go-round of sandwiches.

10550-9f610fb1327f4ea42aed8ab4641bcd11.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What with two sessions of Formula 1 on the telly plus having to go pick up my ordered beef (and have a beer or two) and then buying a new lawn mower I decided on just a few surplus frozen sausages, beans and a warmed up left over jacket potato.

View attachment 10659
Never...ever... saw a baked potato with franks & beans...interesting and a great pic !!

Last night..out with co-workers..."sports bar" type place...

White lobster pizza.....traditional crust...no red sauce..white sauce made with cheese..topping...chunks of lobster....needless to say...TASTY...:):)

I never had a lobster pizza. I now so much want one!

In Australia they are "King" for large or "school" for medium - though I've seen numbers like those in the chart on boxes of crumbed prawns.

Oh yes. I've heard King prawn but that is usually in a Chinese restaurant.

We are it for a pizza tonight. Just leaving now. Its a relief not to cook as I've been so busy today.

Vegan vegetable stew with mushrooms, summer squash, swede, cavolo nero and chickpeas. Home made bread to go with it.
Very nice...particularly the form on the bread. I seem to recall that your son's announcement (that he had turned vegan) wasn't something you were particularly happy about at first, but I can see from your recipes that you seem to have really taken to it. With the variety and the flavors you bring, I can almost see enjoying a vegan diet.

Maybe for a day or two. :whistling:

Hubby was out telescoping this evening, so I made a nice, warming pot of ham-and-beans-and-collard greens. Sauteed a bit of bacon for the drippings (kept the bacon in the pot for flavor), simmered piles of cut-up collard greens with the drippings and chicken broth, tossed in some ham chunks, then cannellini beans, and ate it all up with a bit of sourdough bread to get all of the pot likker. @ElizabethB might have felt right at home at our table tonight.

20170929_224928.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom