What did you cook or eat today (April 2024)?

Kettle cooked (sous vide) scrambled egg, with vegan cheese and mushrooms.

IMG_2445.jpeg

It saved the day. Arrived in Sonsoles and they had tapas galore all over the place but they were absolutely rushed off their feet (there seemed to be something going on in the church), the dishes were out there for people to help themselves to.

These are the times when being a coeliac stings the most. Couldn't risk cross contamination and obviously didn't want hassle the very busy staff with my dietary needs.

Slunk off to make myself cheese and mushroom scrambled egg. Thank goodness it hit the spot perfectly 👍☺️
It's worth carrying a very few ingredients with you for these times. Added salt, white pepper, a smidge of powdered garlic and sweet paprika to the party 🥳

Last edited:
We had those bagel bites with smoked salmon, cream cheese, capers and shallots topped with avocado. I found such a great deal on smoked salmon. We have a smoker and hubby could smoke some from fresh, but the weather has been crap so that will have to wait.

We had those bagel bites with smoked salmon, cream cheese, capers and shallots topped with avocado. I found such a great deal on smoked salmon. We have a smoker and hubby could smoke some from fresh, but the weather has been crap so that will have to wait.
That's basically bagels and lox /drool

That's basically bagels and lox /drool
Yeah it is pretty close, other than I don't like cold smoked salmon much as it has a slimy texture, to me. I get the hot smoked that flakes apart. If I can't find the hot smoked, I will buy and nuke the cold smoked to cook it and remove some of the moisture from it. I like the smoked salmon dip with everything mixed in it because it tends to not fall off the bagel--capers tend to roll off in particular, LOL. The avocado is a nice addition, as is the "everything bagel" seasoning I sprinkle on at the end if I am using plain bagels (which I did today).

I always cut it in bite sized pieces before toasting for DH since he has a hard time biting into foods--he has his front teeth but they were loose awhile back so he had his dentist put a splint of sorts behind them to keep them stable and upped his vitamin D and calcium intake to make them stronger.

Yeah it is pretty close, other than I don't like cold smoked salmon much as it has a slimy texture, to me. I get the hot smoked that flakes apart. If I can't find the hot smoked, I will buy and nuke the cold smoked to cook it and remove some of the moisture from it. I like the smoked salmon dip with everything mixed in it because it tends to not fall off the bagel--capers tend to roll off in particular, LOL. The avocado is a nice addition, as is the "everything bagel" seasoning I sprinkle on at the end if I am using plain bagels (which I did today).

I always cut it in bite sized pieces before toasting for DH since he has a hard time biting into foods--he has his front teeth but they were loose awhile back so he had his dentist put a splint of sorts behind them to keep them stable and upped his vitamin D and calcium intake to make them stronger.
I always push the capers into the cream cheese so they don't roll off. Alfalfa sprouts work well too.

I always push the capers into the cream cheese so they don't roll off. Alfalfa sprouts work well too.
To me, it's easier to make a big batch of the smoked salmon spread and then I have it on hand for a few days. Spreading cream cheese on each of the bite size bagel pieces and then putting each of the ingredients on each of those pieces sounds tedious and more time consuming than I would like. I keep the spread in a Pyrex container in the coldest part of my fridge and then pop it in the microwave to warm it up before spreading it on the bagel pieces. The packages of smoked salmon I buy are $9 for an 8 ounce package on Thursdays when they have their sale so it's a pretty good deal. I have seen it at other stores priced at $6 for a 4 ounce package.

I have some mixed sprout seeds in a jar on a shelf in my kitchen that are just developing tails, but I had planned on using those in salads and sandwiches. I love the creamy avocado so much on the bagels and DH is such a creature of habit I am not sure he would like sprouts on his bagel bites...

last century . . . we had a local supermarket chain that did a marvelous 'stuffed chicken breast'
roast&serve . . . .

tonight is century throw-back adventure night - cream cheese, mushroom, spinach stuffing - layered with dampened StoveTopStuffing mix.
these are from T-Rex size chickens . . . that's a 10.5" pan....

1713036120832.jpeg

last century . . . we had a local supermarket chain that did a marvelous 'stuffed chicken breast'
roast&serve . . . .

tonight is century throw-back adventure night - cream cheese, mushroom, spinach stuffing - layered with dampened StoveTopStuffing mix.
these are from T-Rex size chickens . . . that's a 10.5" pan....

View attachment 112273
Forget butterflying it, just make it like a sandwich and call it "stuffed". 😂

I am slightly fond of cheese.
That makes two of us. Where I am at the moment (in Putney, London,UK) there's a cheese stall, near the river, on a Saturday morning. I stopped by and spoke to the bloke there.
"How do you stop yourself trying every cheese on the table?
"I don't " he admitted. "I put out a few samples for customers and eat half of them myself" :laugh:
A man after my own heart. When I leave London this week I'll have at least 2 kgs of cheese in my suitcase.

Forget butterflying it, just make it like a sandwich and call it "stuffed". 😂
heehee - true. there's some 'mystique' about doing it butterflied tho.... in the end, all the same.
currently relaxing in a 275'F oven - will jack up the temp and do a brown sugar+Dijon glaze as it cooks thru.

edit to add finished - double what we could eat - Wednesday leftovers . . .
IMG_3360.JPG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom