What did you cook or eat today (August 2019)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice prawns (shrimp). I have a bit of a craving for prawns..

Do you differentiate prawns from shrimps? I always have done. To me prawns are 75+ mm long whereas shrimps are about 10 mm.

Do you differentiate prawns from shrimps? I always have done. To me prawns are 75+ mm long whereas shrimps are about 10 mm.

In the US what we call prawns are called shrimp. Its confusing because, as you say, shrimps are a different thing in the UK.

Hot dogs, mine with sweet pickle relish and mustard, Craig's with what he calls his Coney Island sauce and mustard. Coleslaw on the side.

In the US what we call prawns are called shrimp. Its confusing because, as you say, shrimps are a different thing in the UK.

I found this:

"Shrimp and prawns are not the same animal. While both are decapod crustaceans (ten legs), shrimp and prawns differ: the former belongs to a sub-order called Pleocyemata, and the latter belongs to the sub-order Dendrobranchiata. In most cases shrimps are smaller in size than prawns (costs a lot more). Their habits differ too; with regard to aquaculture farming, shrimps are marine creatures, while prawns live in fresh water."

All the prawns that we buy here are fresh water farmed whereas I cannot remember seeing shrimps on sale (we are 500 km from the coast). However, "Gulf Prawns" I imagine live in the sea as there is little fresh water in the desert.

Our prawns and shrimps come from Vietnam. I get bags of mixed shrimps all different sizes. I believe they are graded into size.

Russ

Salad: avocado, soft boiled egg, rocket, pink Chinese leaves, chicory, radish, spring onion, truffle oil croutons, kalonji seeds.

Garlic salt, olive oil and lemon juice sprinkled over.

View attachment 30229

View attachment 30230

I didn't think you liked avocado.

My lunch. The normal... though I'm trying the pickle/chutney under my hummus at tbe moment because I'm fed up with it dripping off the edges and running down my arms.

So sourdough bread, caramelized onion jam, hummus, tofu.

20190802_132911.jpg

Orange Olive Oil Cake.

I really fall short with cakes. Can't make one exactly right to save my life, and Ive hit every issue known to bakers at one point or another.

I've overmixed, undermixed, had the eggs split, had the middle sink, overbaked, underbaked, etc. I do something to alleviate one issue, and it causes two more.

Today's cake isn't that bad. Still feels a little dense, but I've done (much) worse. The holes point to some overmixing, but I mixed this by hand and folded everything in. Usually when I do that, I get flour bits in the finished cake, or I don't but it's tough, so I can't seem to find that sweet spot between undermixed and overmixed.

BDA77E1A-82B1-49C6-AB51-6936B343FEA1.jpeg
86D7E58B-8384-4CE5-8BE9-21053865B987.jpeg

Scrambled Egg and Mayo Sandwich

This is one of those things that takes me back to my childhood. Usually, my mom always made a very substantial breakfast (eggs, meat, potatoes, sliced tomatoes, biscuits and gravy), but on occasions where there was a rush for whatever reason, she'd made scrambled egg and mayonnaise sandwiches.

The key is, the mayo has to be just absolutely slathered on, like you're frosting a cake. Also, the eggs should be heavily dosed with black pepper, and it has to be super soft generic white bread.
30C31F05-4678-4CCC-A5C5-3B0EA5F38AF8.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom