What did you cook or eat today (August 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
TastyReuben wish Mrs tasty happy birthday, it was our friends yesterday as well. We have a party tonight.

Saturday so wife had bacon n eggs., I had a cup of earl and a cookie.

Russ
Will do, she had a good week.

So the loin didn't get tough and dry out? How long did you cook it? How high was the internal temperature when it was done? My parents do pork and sauerkraut the same basic way, and it always turns out dry and tough. You must be doing something different. What's your secret?

CD
No, it's not dry. The secret is probably all the liquid from the apple, onion, and apple juice, it keeps everything plenty moist, and probably the cut of meat, which came from a farm not far from me (bought through a grocer).

I wish I'd taken a pic of the meat before I cooked it. It looked more like it was up closer to the shoulder, with a good mix of white and dark (tenderloin), it wasn't all just boneless loin, like what you see butterfly chops cut from. That stuff is dry, for sure.

Anyway, I got a late start, so I cooked it on high for 4-1/2 hours. Being that it was in a slow cooker, I didn't bother with taking the internal temperature.

Not today but tomorrow's tea, leg of lamb out, buying a big chicken. Both will go over charcoal on a rotisserie. Tried and proven it tastes so good. Everyone is looking forward to it.
Buying kumara (sweet tatter) for stuffed potatoes.

Russ

Those are both good meats for rotisserie over coals. Try roasting some cut up taters in a drip pan below your rotisserie meats. I par cook my taters, season with salt, pepper and rosemary, and put them in a pan under my rotisserie meats. The fat drips down, and both flavors and browns the taters.

I looked for a photo, but one was not on my main hard drive. You will have to use your imagination.

CD

Those are both good meats for rotisserie over coals. Try roasting some cut up taters in a drip pan below your rotisserie meats. I par cook my taters, season with salt, pepper and rosemary, and put them in a pan under my rotisserie meats. The fat drips down, and both flavors and browns the taters.

I looked for a photo, but one was not on my main hard drive. You will have to use your imagination.

CD

I'll put a pic up of my last cook.

Russ

CD

I'm baking potatoes then slicing in half, take the potatoes out leaving a skin. I'll,mash kumara(sweet tatter, we have about 4 types) with butter spring onion, cream and bacon. Cheese on top and back to the oven. Serving with salads that wife didn't buy. Back to shops tomorrow. I'll make slaw as well.

Russ

Yup, but her choice is always pork and sauerkraut!
As long as you get winter frosts mate you can make this fermented cabbage. It's a staple in the Balkans and tastier than Sauerkraut for Mrs Tasty. Tommo made it for everyone, he would add dried corn cobs to get a sunny yellow color. If Mrs Tasty likes that she will love Sarma ie pork mince cabbage rolls.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPaWv3-35H0

We spent most of the day with Dil and Trine so I just made ham and cheese omelet. Dil is still very weak after Covid. His daughter is arriving today for a weak to help Trine. Hopefully after that they will stay with us for a week. My friends please take every precaution to protect yourselves from the virus. This virus is bestial even when you survive.

Will do, she had a good week.

No, it's not dry. The secret is probably all the liquid from the apple, onion, and apple juice, it keeps everything plenty moist, and probably the cut of meat, which came from a farm not far from me (bought through a grocer).

I wish I'd taken a pic of the meat before I cooked it. It looked more like it was up closer to the shoulder, with a good mix of white and dark (tenderloin), it wasn't all just boneless loin, like what you see butterfly chops cut from. That stuff is dry, for sure.

Anyway, I got a late start, so I cooked it on high for 4-1/2 hours. Being that it was in a slow cooker, I didn't bother with taking the internal temperature.

Cooking pork loin for 4.5 hours just goes against all my pork cooking instincts. But I trust your tastebuds, so I assume it was moist and tender.

CD

My intention was to top with a duck egg, fried or poached, until I discovered that my assumption that we had bought eggs yesterday was erroneous. The last two went into the burger mixture. I also added chopped fresh chillis into the mixture (6 chillis for 6 patties) so did not add a layer of chillis as per my norm with a burger. Upon first bite I thought that had been a mistake but by the third bite the kick was there.

Pork burger(s).

The remaining 5 are in the freezer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom