What did you cook or eat today (August 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last of the pork and sauerkraut tonight.

Direct quote from MrsTasty:

(Big forkful of food) "God, I could eat this sh!t every night!"

Direct quote from MrsTasty:

(Big forkful of food) "God, I could eat this sh!t every night!"

I'm like that with a few foods I grew up with. I make rissoles up everyone now and then. Sausage patties basically. But even better cold. I can't stop,eating them until they are gone. Wife's the same. She takes to her work so you have to be quick around here.

Russ

I'm like that with a few foods I grew up with. I make rissoles up everyone now and then. Sausage patties basically. But even better cold. I can't stop,eating them until they are gone. Wife's the same. She takes to her work so you have to be quick around here.

Russ
We were watching "Upstairs, Downstairs" (the original run) last night, and it's to the point where they're halfway through WW1, so there are some shortages, and Mrs. Bridges (the cook for the Bellamy family) bemoans that she's been reduced to serving rissoles!

We were watching "Upstairs, Downstairs" (the original run) last night, and it's to the point where they're halfway through WW1, so there are some shortages, and Mrs. Bridges (the cook for the Bellamy family) bemoans that she's been reduced to serving rissoles!

Cheap food I grew up with. We had nothing except cheap stuff. Made me better for it. Some of my rich kid mates didn't amount to much.

Russ

Plan 'D' for lunch yesterday. Plan 'A' was lamb kebabs cooked over charcoal. Drove across town to buy some lamb neck fillet from the butcher, only to discover that being Bank Holiday the butcher was closed. Plan 'B', drove to local farm shop to buy lamb, queue outside was ridiculous so progressed to Plan 'C' and drove to favourite pub. Pub not doing food due it being Monday, WTF? Gave up, drove home. Checked out gastro pub in our village - car park heaving, but a quick phone call revealed that they were happy to do us a take out. Twenty minutes later we collected halloumi fries with a salsa dip, fish and chips for wife, and chicken Caesar salad for me. A most excellent Plan 'D'.

The storm raged again from about 15.00 to 02.00. Massive thunder and lightening the about 2hrs of heavy rain. The temp dropped to a chilly 25c. Roast Turkey thigh, roast spuds broccoli and gravy.

Try this one pot wonder, if you can't get ferment Balkan cabbage rinse the inferior Sauerkraut. Put a thick layer on the base of your slow cooker. Add some strong Kokos (boiling fowl) stock. Lay a sheet of smoked ribs on top. Give it 8 hrs on low, serve on

Russ mate, because we were "Jews" we had very few school friends. My Dad went to his office at 07.30 and returned at 20.00. We were very well provided for. The first time I was invited to my mate Oozo's house was for "tea" on Sunday after they had returned from chapel. The cultural divide was opened when his lovely Mum asked me are Jews allowed to eat Salmon ? I replied oh yes ! is it Scottish or from the river Dee. She replied it's John West. I had never had tinned Salmon or knew what it was. It was my first lesson in how privileged we were.

Russ mate, because we were "Jews" we had very few school friends. My Dad went to his office at 07.30 and returned at 20.00. We were very well provided for. The first time I was invited to my mate Oozo's house was for "tea" on Sunday after they had returned from chapel. The cultural divide was opened when his lovely Mum asked me are Jews allowed to eat Salmon ? I replied oh yes ! is it Scottish or from the river Dee. She replied it's John West. I had never had tinned Salmon or knew what it was. It was my first lesson in how privileged we were.

My next door neighbour ( V8 guy) was a freezing worker, ( abbatoir) but his oldest son who was in the commonwealth games ( a runner) married a Jewish girl, priscilla my neighbour refused to go to the wedding and banned them from his house. I never knew what a Jew was until many years later.
I never had salmon until my late teens. You certainly had a colourful life.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom