What did you cook or eat today (August 2022)?

I was thinking about this dish, and y'know, this really could be made all vegan and still be absolutely delicious!!
I think by the time you have removed the
  • Char Siu or Chinese BBQ Pork, Kamaboko or Steamed Fish Cake,
  • Egg
  • Dashi powder
And switched the broth to a vegan one, you'd be making something different.

Perhaps aiming for it to be vegetarian not vegan might work better? At least you'd keep the egg and only have to change 3 items not 4.

I think by the time you have removed the
  • Char Siu or Chinese BBQ Pork, Kamaboko or Steamed Fish Cake,
  • Egg
  • Dashi powder
And switched the broth to a vegan one, you'd be making something different.

Perhaps aiming for it to be vegetarian not vegan might work better? At least you'd keep the egg and only have to change 3 items not 4.
I think that making this recipe vegan would still work and be tasty.
It's more about the noodles and the dressing or sauce.
The "goodies" are more to taste, I think, and I would be fine with all veg.
I'll try it and let you know, or better yet, y'all try it and tell me what you think.
The more traditional Somen Salad in Japan, as I understand it, cold Somen Noodles dunked in a cold broth and eaten straight up.

Crispy skin salmon with fennel 2 ways.

Fennel wedges first fried in olive oil, with garlic and tomato chunks, a splash of white wine then tipped onto a tray and roasted with some broccolini.
Shaved fennel, orange segments & Parmesan with red onion salad in a mustard dressing.

I'll try it and let you know, or better yet, y'all try it and tell me what you think.
The more traditional Somen Salad in Japan, as I understand it, cold Somen Noodles dunked in a cold broth and eaten straight up.
Isn't the dashi powder pretty fundamental though? Or can you get a vegan/vegetarian one?

Easy, Turkish pizza ( Lahmacun) the fusion Dutch way . So the way it's sold on the streets here. Which is with added cheese, garlic sauce ,harissa ( morrocan sambal) and mixed salad . I didn't have harissa on hand today, and also just cucumber . But it was good anyway. You just don't get it like that in Turkey. I've eaten real Lahmacun and it's served with just some greens and a squeeze of lemon. Also delicious!

You wrap it up to eat it.

Crispy skin salmon with fennel 2 ways.

Fennel wedges first fried in olive oil, with garlic and tomato chunks, a splash of white wine then tipped onto a tray and roasted with some broccolini.
Shaved fennel, orange segments & Parmesan with red onion salad in a mustard dressing. View attachment 88530
Nicely cooked too. A little pink in the middle.

I agree with satnav. Of course making a vegan alternative is the goal but it's not going to resemble the intended recipe in taste or texture, which personally I find one of the biggest failures that some vegans make, which is trying to emulate a particular animal based food. They generally don't stack up to the animal based alternative and penetration into a market that consumes animal products is probably a fools errand for the most part.

There is a reason why the impossible burger et al is going down in flames and shares are at an all time low and that is they're marketed towards meat eaters and not vegans, most vegans wouldn't touch those products with a ten foot pole and then go on and try to convince another demographic they are as good, better or healthier. With very aggressive marketing these products were of course expected to penetrate a percentage and build from there, but the verdict is out and it's not flattering in the taste department or the ingredient dept. Cheers

Using a recipe for inspiration is perfectly fine and encouraged I just don't see the point in trying to compete with something it can never be. Probably a discussion for another topic lol.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom