What did you cook or eat today (August 2022)?

Crap picture but the pasta was great. 50/50 mix of semolina and all purpose flour for the pasta, fresh local Roma and some red heirloom variety I don't know, garlic, basil, olive oil, and salt for the sauce. A small grating of Asiago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Busy days recently.

Here’s Saturday night. Our first ever hot pot at home. My son & I have both had hot pot before but not my daughter or her Dad. We had a fantastic evening chatting, deciding what sauces we liked best with different ingredients and fishing for lost items in the pot.

There’s

Beef, lamb, chicken & tofu
Mussels, prawns, salmon, octopus “balls”.
Pork dumplings
Bok choy, enoki, snow peas, daikon, zucchini, tofu skin, noodles
Ginger chilli sauce, coriander lime sauce & traditional sesame sauce

The pot itself had “mala” soup base which included a lot of dried red chilli & Szechuan peppercorns.

Crap picture but the pasta was great. 50/50 mix of semolina and all purpose flour for the pasta, fresh local Roma and some red heirloom variety I don't know, garlic, basil, olive oil, and salt for the sauce. A small grating of Asiago.

View attachment 89436

Nothing wrong with the photo - it just needs cropping really. I changed it to 'full size' as you had posted it as a 'thumbnail'.

Another lunchmeat sandwich; mustard, mayonnaise, onion, lettuce, tomato, low-sodium ham, roasted chicken, bacon, and Vermont cheddar.

View attachment 89433
Check out the nutrition label on those chips/crisps:

View attachment 89434

Good thing that ham was low-sodium, huh? :laugh:

Was that Boar's Head low sodium ham? That's what I buy, and it's pretty good.

CD

Was that Boar's Head low sodium ham? That's what I buy, and it's pretty good.

CD
Yup, that's the one. I bought it because I was at the big Kroger, which carries Boar's Head products (the smaller local Kroger doesn't) and I remembered you mentioning it a couple of times, so I thought I'd try it out. It's not bad at all, and I also got some of their turkey pepperoni, which is worlds better than Hormel's turkey pepperoni.

Yup, that's the one. I bought it because I was at the big Kroger, which carries Boar's Head products (the smaller local Kroger doesn't) and I remembered you mentioning it a couple of times, so I thought I'd try it out. It's not bad at all, and I also got some of their turkey pepperoni, which is worlds better than Hormel's turkey pepperoni.

Boar's Head meats and cheeses are always good. Not the cheapest, for sure, but good. They have good charcuterie plate foods. I love their soprasata.

CD

Looks great. Hotpot has a completely different meaning in the UK. Its an old fashioned stew topped with crispy slices of potato. The most famous is Lancashire hotpot.
We used to eat Lancashire hotpot growing up. Sydney used to be much more British when my Dad was young (his own grandparents came out from Scotland) and so was the food.

We didn’t get much diversification in immigration until after the wars.

Back
Top Bottom