What did you cook or eat today (December 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question - I cooked a meat and potato pie a few months ago the same as my dear old Mum used to make. No pastry sides or base, just a lid. A heathen from the south west of England told me it couldn't be called a pie unless it had sides and a base. Is it only folks from the north who refer to this as a pie?
There's a fellow on YT who's somewhat Northernish, I think, who fancies himself a bit of a pie snob expert and he's adamant that no way, no how is a lid-only pie a pie - pies must have two crusts, that's what makes it a pie. So there's that guy. He gets pretty wound up about it, actually. That, and mushy peas. He's also the mushy pea authority (No mint! Ever!). 🤷🏻‍♂️

My preference is for a two-crust pie, as I'm a crust man just like I'm a bread man when it comes to sandwiches. I won't order a pie out if I know it has just the top on, but if I forget to ask and it comes out that way, I'll eat it, but I'll be a little sad about it.

I'm making pot pies tomorrow.

There's a fellow on YT who's somewhat Northernish, I think, who fancies himself a bit of a pie snob expert and he's adamant that no way, no how is a lid-only pie a pie - pies must have two crusts, that's what makes it a pie. So there's that guy. He gets pretty wound up about it, actually. That, and mushy peas. He's also the mushy pea authority (No mint! Ever!).

The advantage of a pie with only a crust is that it can contain much more gravy, viz:

My take on additions to Yorkshire Dahl (aka mushy peas) generally - salt and vinegar (with fish and chips); brown sauce (with beef pies and pasties); mint sauce (with porkie pies).

And tea is made.... I had to freelance somewhat with the recipe... Rummaniyeh which is brown lentils & aubergine served with pomegranate molasses. It was a touch of freelancing because it was no go on brown lentils this week apparently, so hubby came have with tinned lentils (lentils & water only). It is meant to be served with equivalent of pita or another unleavened flatbread. I think we'll have it with rice.

Unfortunately the only pomegranate molasses hubby could find contained added sugar. if we can find the pure stuff, just pomegranates we'll make it again & hopefully it won't be quite so sweet, but there is a significant price difference between the 2. $7 for 500ml with sugar or $10 for 110mI without sugar!

Question - I cooked a meat and potato pie a few months ago the same as my dear old Mum used to make. No pastry sides or base, just a lid. A heathen from the south west of England told me it couldn't be called a pie unless it had sides and a base. Is it only folks from the north who refer to this as a pie?
It's a pie because I say it is, right?

Last night's dinner was spicy Tex-Mex turkey soup with green chiles, jalapeños, tomatoes, roasted garlic, and onion, seasoned with cumin, oregano, adobo, salt, and pepper. I served it with a dollop of sour cream, shredded cheddar, and crushed toasted white corn tortilla chips. We both had seconds.

Last edited:
I just made a patty out of turkey and jalapeño roasted garlic stuffing and panfried it. I cooked 3 eggs over easy in the same pan and served the eggs on top of the patty. No photo, it was messy looking. Hubby loved it.

Ok making some for me.

Last edited:
And tea is made.... I had to freelance somewhat with the recipe... Rummaniyeh which is brown lentils & aubergine served with pomegranate molasses. It was a touch of freelancing because it was no go on brown lentils this week apparently, so hubby came have with tinned lentils (lentils & water only). It is meant to be served with equivalent of pita or another unleavened flatbread. I think we'll have it with rice.

Unfortunately the only pomegranate molasses hubby could find contained added sugar. if we can find the pure stuff, just pomegranates we'll make it again & hopefully it won't be quite so sweet, but there is a significant price difference between the 2. $7 for 500ml with sugar or $10 for 110mI without sugar!

I have a friend that lives in Greenway who is obsessed with all things middle eastern food - we always make supermarket treks together when she comes to Sydney or I go to Canberra.

I’ll ask her for the name of the place she took me to a couple of years ago. Big market with proper stuff.

I’ll ask her for the name of the place she took me to a couple of years ago. Big market with proper stuff.
that would be fantastic because we're also in Sydney for 2 nights Christmas week, so I could also try there...

fresh tamarind dates (aka sweet tamarind) would also be a great find!

So either Canberra or Sydney would work. Canberra at a guess would be either Belconnon or Fyshwick Fresh food markets.

Yesterday I made a big pot of incredibly inauthentic chicken tikka masala (no marinating or BBQ’ing of the chicken) and I added peas & chickpeas. I froze 4 x 1L containers for midweek meals. I also cooked a big pot of brown and white rice to freeze in ziplocks as otherwise the boys only cook white rice.

I also slow roasted a boned shoulder of pork with soy, orange & 5 spice on a bed of apples & onions.

Im so worn out with this moving house & working 6 days a week thing I didn’t know if I was making a baked dinner or an Asian influenced meal. I roasted off pumpkin, potato & sweet potato with some oil, 5 spice, S&P. I made a coleslaw of spring onion, wombok & red apples.

I turned the trivet into gravy by adding stock & thickening with generic “Gravox”.

Bit of a mosh mash but it contained some veg & I got to watch tv for 2 hours without moving which I sorely needed.

that would be fantastic because we're also in Sydney for 2 nights Christmas week, so I could also try there...

fresh tamarind dates (aka sweet tamarind) would also be a great find!

So either Canberra or Sydney would work. Canberra at a guess would be either Belconnon or Fyshwick Fresh food markets.
What area of Sydney will you be staying in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom