What did you cook or eat today (February 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, that is cured and smoked ham? In the US, Virginia cured and smoked ham is the best. I hope it travels well.

CD

It arrives here frozen but I guess not from US. Tastes good to me.

Reactions: mjd
Pork Balls from Ziangs Chinese Takeaway Cooking Bible (served with Yung Chow Fried Rice):

90C8FB5B-FB2F-4524-B482-FBAE37BC5816.jpeg

I love gyros, but you didn't want the tzatziki sauce and lettuce on it? That's a pretty plate, BTW.

It doesn't come with lettuce. I ordered one a few weeks ago and put the tzatziki sauce on it and it wasn't a pretty photo. LOL I ate it with the sauce.

Re: plate. Thanks. I've been adding various dishes to my stash just for photographing food for this site. ;-)

It doesn't come with lettuce. I ordered one a few weeks ago and put the tzatziki sauce on it and it wasn't a pretty photo. LOL I ate it with the sauce.

Re: plate. Thanks. I've been adding various dishes to my stash just for photographing food for this site. ;-)
That's interesting, maybe I have been eating gyros from non-authentic places where they serve them with lettuce and tomato as well as the sauce. Or is it just this one place that doesn't give you lettuce?

That's interesting, maybe I have been eating gyros from non-authentic places where they serve them with lettuce and tomato as well as the sauce. Or is it just this one place that doesn't give you lettuce?

Gyros are traditionally served with lettuce and tomato in my experience. I am also used to gyros made with fresh cooked meat directly off a spit. I think they just thaw some frozen meat here. It's the only place that sells them here so there's nothing for comparison.

Food is a whole different experience for me out here (about two hours outside of Chicago). As you can tell from my posts, I can't even get common foods and spices at our local WalMart (only grocery store besides Aldi). The town doesn't support a Farmer's Market and the more organic, higher quality supermarket closed right around the time I moved here (three years ago).

Gyros are traditionally served with lettuce and tomato in my experience. I am also used to gyros made with fresh cooked meat directly off a spit. I think they just thaw some frozen meat here. It's the only place that sells them here so there's nothing for comparison.

Food is a whole different experience for me out here (about two hours outside of Chicago). As you can tell from my posts, I can't even get common foods and spices at our local WalMart (only grocery store besides Aldi). The town doesn't support a Farmer's Market and the more organic, higher quality supermarket closed right around the time I moved here (three years ago).
That must be terribly disappointing to not be able to get what you want at the grocery stores. If the spices are shelf stable items and not fresh, you could probably order from walmart.com and get what you want. That being said, I do like Aldi and they get a lot of international foods that other grocery stores don't carry, plus the prices are great!

I too like the meat cut off the rotisserie, but our local sandwich shops don't have gyro meat like that, they have it portioned and heat it on the grill before putting it on the pita. But at least they have the lettuce and tomato (though I often skip tomatoes from restaurants because they are either mushy or pale, crunchy, and flavorless).

On a related note, in Mexico some of the resorts have taco bars where they have meat cooking like that and cut the meat off for the tacos when you order (as well as make your tortillas right in front of you on a flattop grill). I miss being able to go to Mexico. We would probably be there right now if it wasn't for COVID-19.

Had one of those for lunch today. It came with hot chilli sauce, mint yoghurt sauce and lots of salad (4 parts of my 5 a day).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom