What did you cook or eat today (February 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That must be terribly disappointing to not be able to get what you want at the grocery stores. If the spices are shelf stable items and not fresh, you could probably order from walmart.com and get what you want. That being said, I do like Aldi and they get a lot of international foods that other grocery stores don't carry, plus the prices are great!

I too like the meat cut off the rotisserie, but our local sandwich shops don't have gyro meat like that, they have it portioned and heat it on the grill before putting it on the pita. But at least they have the lettuce and tomato (though I often skip tomatoes from restaurants because they are either mushy or pale, crunchy, and flavorless).

On a related note, in Mexico some of the resorts have taco bars where they have meat cooking like that and cut the meat off for the tacos when you order (as well as make your tortillas right in front of you on a flattop grill). I miss being able to go to Mexico. We would probably be there right now if it wasn't for COVID-19.
Yes, it's disappointing sometimes. Our WalMart and Aldis are relatively small compared to their other stores. There is a college town about 20-25 minutes away so sometimes I go out there to find bigger stores and more grocery options.

I love salads so I usually have stuff on hand to "doctor" up the bland food I get from restaurants here. I just have to get used to the fact that it's impossible to get decent food. For example, I was excited to see chicken fajitas on the menu at one of the two sit down restaurants we have here. For some reason, unclear to me, they put swiss cheese on the tortilla. I like Swiss cheese but I've never had it on a fajita and it wasn't yummy there. I can't think of any dish that turned out well the few times I've ventured out. ;-( It's even like that in our one hospital. I'm very used to hospital food being halfway decent so it was a long ten days when I was hospitalized last year.

I've never been to Mexico. It was on my bucket list before my divorce. Now, I doubt I'll ever get a chance to go. It sounds like I would absolutely love the food options there. Fresh off the grill is almost always wonderful.

I hope this doesn't make me sound like a food snob. I'm really not. It's just that Chicago is famous for its food (and shady politicians. LOL) and I grew up there. I practically begged some restaurant owners to start shipping food orders (to no avail ;-).

In your case I would either buy most of the food frozen or make own preserves. Fresh foof with lots of vitamins could be problematic. Stay healthy

Yes, it's disappointing sometimes. Our WalMart and Aldis are relatively small compared to their other stores. There is a college town about 20-25 minutes away so sometimes I go out there to find bigger stores and more grocery options.

I love salads so I usually have stuff on hand to "doctor" up the bland food I get from restaurants here. I just have to get used to the fact that it's impossible to get decent food. For example, I was excited to see chicken fajitas on the menu at one of the two sit down restaurants we have here. For some reason, unclear to me, they put swiss cheese on the tortilla. I like Swiss cheese but I've never had it on a fajita and it wasn't yummy there. I can't think of any dish that turned out well the few times I've ventured out. ;-( It's even like that in our one hospital. I'm very used to hospital food being halfway decent so it was a long ten days when I was hospitalized last year.

I've never been to Mexico. It was on my bucket list before my divorce. Now, I doubt I'll ever get a chance to go. It sounds like I would absolutely love the food options there. Fresh off the grill is almost always wonderful.

I hope this doesn't make me sound like a food snob. I'm really not. It's just that Chicago is famous for its food (and shady politicians. LOL) and I grew up there. I practically begged some restaurant owners to start shipping food orders (to no avail ;-).
I dont think anyone on this forum ISN'T a food snob, at least to a certain degree, lol.

You pay good money for food, it should be good food.

Fresh salmon fish cake with dill sauce.

Cairns? We love far north, Yeppoon is one of my faves.

Russ
Yes, am staying in Cairns, but currently having lunch in Port Douglas. I have spent a lot of time in Yeppoon in the past, I had ex inlaws living there, and use to own a block with a cabin out at Byfield.

murphyscreek I watched the watalappan video. It looks absolutely delicious. You have followed the simple and the authentic recipe without adding all artificial flavours which is the best recipe for watalappan.
I also loved your Burmese sticky rice and chicken video and that meal is really authentic.

In making watalappan here we let the jaggery colour a little bit more to give the dessert a brown shade but that's optional. I am happy that you've heard of Kitul jaggery which is the best you can get but it's very rare. Many people sell them but that's not kitul at all. Even well known supermarkets and well known brands sell other kinds of treacle with Kitul label.

still a lot to watch on your channel. Thanks for creating those videos. Liked and subscribed.

Late dinner here. I have a boneless pork loin chop in the sous vide water bath. When it is done, I have a maple-syrup and Louisiana Hot Sauce glaze to brush on it, and then give it a quick sear. Leftover marinaded roasted onions on the side. Actually, the best is to get some pork and onion on the fork together for one bite.

Picture? Um, we'll see what I feel like at the moment. It's almost 10PM here.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom