What did you cook or eat today, (January 2019)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
5D0AB6D3-225D-4255-8978-099222F073AF.jpeg

My daughter is finally joining me on the healthy eating train. I told her I could make anything she wanted healthy. She picked fried rice. I delivered Bacon Fried Rice. Recipe to follow!

Delicious as that sounds it doesn't sound very 'healthy'! I mean fried rice and bacon.:)
That was part of the surprise, though to be honest, I wish I had included more bacon (I only used 5 strips, but I think I would have needed 10 to really give me a strong bacon flavor). Here's what I came up with (via SparkPeople) for a 6 ounce serving. This is pretty remarkable, since white rice by itself is only 25 calories per ounce.

Bacon Fried Rice Nutrition.JPG

Is it cooked or raw rice that you are referring to? One 6 ounce serving of cooked boiled or steamed rice seems to be around 220 Kcals.
Yes...that's what I meant, but it does seem that I've been off in how I've been measuring it. I took a cup or rice to be 8 ounces, but - even though a cup is 8 fluid ounces - it does not weigh 8 ounces. I was definitely off with the calories for steamed rice. Math! :laugh:

My first attempt at Beef Wellington.

It was quite a bit of work and that the choux pastry was round and not square/rectangular was a disadvantage. I used shiitake mushrooms and shallots for the duxelles (which was delicious). I didn't have prosciutto nor any other cooked ham so I used uncooked bacon (next time, if there is one, I shall fry it a little).

Overall I was pleased with the result but unfortunately I buggered up the transfer of the beef from the cutting board to the plate. However, it tasted good.

I had to un-roll and re-roll the fillet because I forgot the mustard painting!

My first attempt at Beef Wellington.

It was quite a bit of work and that the choux pastry was round and not square/rectangular was a disadvantage. I used shiitake mushrooms and shallots for the duxelles (which was delicious). I didn't have prosciutto nor any other cooked ham so I used uncooked bacon (next time, if there is one, I shall fry it a little).

Overall I was pleased with the result but unfortunately I buggered up the transfer of the beef from the cutting board to the plate. However, it tasted good.

I had to un-roll and re-roll the fillet because I forgot the mustard painting!

It looks splendid!

It looks splendid! Did you mean 'choux pastry' or is it 'puff pastry'?

What I should have done was just relocate the Wellington in the penultimate picture onto the plate, take the photo and then bugger up the presentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom