What did you cook or eat today (January 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pizza!

CalabresePizza20210117.jpg

This Pizza starts with lots of chopped Garlic, some Scallions, a bit of Seranno Pepper, Oregano, Red Pepper, Julienne Cut Sun Dried Tomato and to top all, Calabrese Salami. The Cheese is mixed Colby/Jack.

The oil from the Sun Dried Tomato and the Fat from the Salami made this Pizza a bit sticky, but it was absolutely on the high end of the delicious scale. :chef::hungry::okay:

Made tigelli/crescentine. Fillings were mortadella/pistachio mousse, caprese, genoa with moz for me. Craig had the same first 2, but genoa with provolone and hot capicola with provolone. Had dressing of red wine vinegar, hot pepper flakes, dried oregano, S and P, EVOO for the deli meat sammies.

Made tigelli/crescentine. Fillings were mortadella/pistachio mousse, caprese, genoa with moz for me. Craig had the same first 2, but genoa with provolone and hot capicola with provolone. Had dressing of red wine vinegar, hot pepper flakes, dried oregano, S and P, EVOO for the deli meat sammies.
View attachment 55123
Your meals always look so good, I wish we could get some of those ingredients here.?

Russ

Just taken a bottle of soft drink/ fizzy/ pop and a bowl of ice with cups and 5 cheese toasties lit to the painters.
Slice of bread toasted one side then turned over, bit of relish then cheddar, back to grill, add slice tomato and slice of onion with pre grilled bacon.
They say they will finish today, scaffolding should be gone by tomorrow to allow my lawn man in to mow my lawns.

Russ

Your meals always look so good, I wish we could get some of those ingredients here.?

Russ

Thank you. What can't you get? I made the mortadella/pistachio mousse. The meats and cheese were all from the deli or the Italian market. Surely you have some Italians there. The mascarpone is a bit expensive in a regular grocery (and not all groceries carry it), but not impossible to find and surely with all your contacts you should be able to get into a restaurant supply. The bread was made with lard and white wine, which is a bit different, but again not hard to find, and I'm sure your butcher has or can get leaf lard, which is the best kind, as it doesn't have much of a taste.

Thank you. What can't you get? I made the mortadella/pistachio mousse. The meats and cheese were all from the deli or the Italian market. Surely you have some Italians there. The mascarpone is a bit expensive in a regular grocery (and not all groceries carry it), but not impossible to find and surely with all your contacts you should be able to get into a restaurant supply. The bread was made with lard and white wine, which is a bit different, but again not hard to find, and I'm sure your butcher has or can get leaf lard, which is the best kind, as it doesn't have much of a taste.

No Italian shops that I know of, although you just twigged a memory of a shop I went to years ago. I need to go find it.
We have a well known family of Italians, the Veronese brothers, 4 who moved to New Zealand 50 years ago, they are known for their beautiful wrought iron skills. I used to sell steel to them. They used to give me their own wine every Xmas. It was pure velvet.

The cheeses here are limited and not like your choice. I love looking at delis etc when I'm in other countries. Hope things are settling down and you are getting respite?

Russ

A square container disrupts the vortex and allows the bubbles to collect on a side wall whereas a round container tends to draw the bubbles back into the blender and destroys as many as it makes. Its not impossible to use a round container, many times i have had no choice but my god do you get a usable formation 10 times quicker in a square!

Thanks! I thought that might be the reason - wish I'd known it before. Now I have to look for a square container of suitable size...

Went for a lovely walk yesterday (thank you god for letting me live here!), then came home and cooked marinaded pork tenderloin with carrot & swede mash, broccoli and roasties of course! The marinade for the pork was honey , mustard, garlic, ginger, soy and olive oil. I roasted it to 145f and rested it for 10 minutes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom