What did you cook or eat today (January 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spicy Indonesian beef in kecap & sambal sauce with brussels sprout mash.

Made Amba Maluwa....Sri Lankan green mango curry. And am delighted to say my Sri Lankan neighbours here gave it a big thumbs up.
Looks delicious! I don't know why you are worried a bit that the mangoes are a little bit ripe, that's my favourite! But yes it's the green ones that's usually cooked at home.
That mango is called here "gira amba" meaning "parrot mango" because of the bird beak shape. The best mango for a curry is "kohu amba" literally meaning "fibre mango" which is the most common kind of mango here, cheap and very common. It has that extra sourness and a more complex sweet sour combo. But if you use that mango then it will need a lot more sugar.

Morning Glory yes I have cooked it many times :)

A few things I would do differently would be, add the coconut milk at the end and take it to a simmer just before finishing off. And the pandan should also go in at the first step, with curry leaves and cinnamon. :) I think you added a little bit more water than I would do, but that again is different styles of cooking. And I don't take it off the fire until the whole thing is done. (Obviously if I use less water then I don't have to reduce it).
That curry goes really good with stir fried chicken and rice.

Looks delicious! I don't know why you are worried a bit that the mangoes are a little bit ripe, that's my favourite! But yes it's the green ones that's usually cooked at home.
That mango is called here "gira amba" meaning "parrot mango" because of the bird beak shape. The best mango for a curry is "kohu amba" literally meaning "fibre mango" which is the most common kind of mango here, cheap and very common. It has that extra sourness and a more complex sweet sour combo. But if you use that mango then it will need a lot more sugar.

Morning Glory yes I have cooked it many times :)

A few things I would do differently would be, add the coconut milk at the end and take it to a simmer just before finishing off. And the pandan should also go in at the first step, with curry leaves and cinnamon. :) I think you added a little bit more water than I would do, but that again is different styles of cooking. And I don't take it off the fire until the whole thing is done. (Obviously if I use less water then I don't have to reduce it).
That curry goes really good with stir fried chicken and rice.

Thanks for that lastmanstanding, such great notes for future reference. I can honestly say this is one of the nicest dishes I've made in recent times. That spicy, sweet, and sour combo is very addictive.

p.s. If you ever get the time, but no worries if you don't, I'd be really interested in your opinions of my watalappam and baabath recipe videos.

Last edited:
Thanks for that lastmanstanding, such great notes for future reference. I can honestly say this is one of the nicest dishes I've made in recent times. That spicy, sweet, and sour combo is very addictive.

p.s. If you ever get the time, but no worries if you don't, I'd be really interested in your opinions of my watalappam and baabath recipe videos.
I have already bookmarked your channel :) My knowledge about watalappan is average but I know a girl who makes them really well. I'll show the video to her too. Watalappan is one of my favourite sweet dishes. Definitely among the top 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom