What did you cook or eat today (January 2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chicken thighs from the crockpot:

DFEC8545-D935-4DD7-B7AF-4BEFDDA67890.jpeg

Very simple, made with mushroom, onion, garlic, and some canned tomatoes.

Lemon chicken with potatoes Dauphinois. Sounds extravagant but it is a food service product we started to carry. Funny story.

A few weeks ago we went out for dinner at a high end place for this area. I ordered the duck breast. It was tough and I didn’t care for the sauce. I really liked the potato. Fast forward to Wednesday morning when our food rep was in. We told him about our experience and I said “the only thing I really liked was the potato dauphinois” He said “ we sell those”. A frozen product you just heat and serve. So, we bought a case and sell it in two packs out of our freezer. Now I can be al fancy shmancy on week night in front of the tv in my long johns.
7E5CB4ED-E16A-466A-B452-55E67E504062.jpeg
D7030CBF-44B9-45F6-A27B-8EBF35AAF5C3.jpeg

Last edited:
IMG_2527.JPG

This is the last of my freezer-stash of homemade Chili.
DH had TWO plates of it and exclaimed, "this is better than Zippy's Chili, I like yours better".
:eek: WHAT?!
Zippy's is a old faithful Chili, loved by, well most ... I can get it frozen sometimes, but DH said that he's only liking Zippy's Chili when we're THERE ... WELL!!
I have two more bags of Zippy's, he may not be having any of that!! I'll just make another big ole pot of my Chili for him :wacky:

View attachment 95516

This is the last of my freezer-stash of homemade Chili.
DH had TWO plates of it and exclaimed, "this is better than Zippy's Chili, I like yours better".
:eek: WHAT?!
Zippy's is a old faithful Chili, loved by, well most ... I can get it frozen sometimes, but DH said that he's only liking Zippy's Chili when we're THERE ... WELL!!
I have two more bags of Zippy's, he may not be having any of that!! I'll just make another big ole pot of my Chili for him :wacky:

I just looked at a copy-cat recipe for Zippy's Hawaiian chili... Mayonnaise??? :eek:

CD

I braised some short ribs last night. Here is a photo. Served on mashed potatoes and some of the onions, celery and red bell peppers from the braise. Very tasty, but the meat to fat ratio on these was skewed a bit more to the fat side for me. I need to shop more carefully in the future for short ribs.

1674712731853.jpeg

BTW, I'm using my iPhone for most of the shots I post here, now. It's just quicker and easier. I can even send the photos directly to my iMac via AirDrop.

CD

So, evening meal was a cold soup (one designed to be served cold) because it hit 32.5°C today and it was still only just below 28°C at 6pm despite a series of thunderstorms coming either side of us. 28°C is 82F for those in imperial measurements.... cold food was necessary.

The cold soup was served by hubby, but he forgot the sour cream or yoghurt so it looks just like a bowl of grated beetroot and carrot, which is what it is fundamentally. It's the 'sauce' that gives it the wherewithal and it was great. It's a grapefruit and apple juice mix with red wine and apple cider vinegar. I make my own now, so that's all the better!

20230126_181217.jpg

It lacks a certain something (try yoghurt, sour cream, coriander leaf, slice of lemon or lime etc you get the drift). Lol

These are the open to air, not dust bottles of apple cider vinegar and pear cider vinegar. They're almost 12 months old but I'm hoping to mature it for longer yet.

20230126_182813.jpg

If you know anything about ACV or the pear version, you'll know that those discs are of the mother. Periodically i dislodge them to get the airflow restored to the vinegar and wait for them to grow back... the sediment is old mother and any of the apple or pear that made it into the final product. I've a 20L container behind those bottles that is pure pear cider vinegar.

Anyhow the final bit of our evening meal was the protein. Tonight I had a third fruit involved for a certain challenge... orange

I set it going this morning after freezing, then defrosting and pressing the tofu to change its texture and cause air holes in the structure of the tofu which when pressed hard when immersed in the marinade, drew the thinner marinated into the tofu adding flavour inside as well as the glaze on the outside. I know it won't take many members interest, but I'll write the recipe up tomorrow.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom